Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

We give a chicken carcass once in a while too...when I don't use it for stock.
It's kind of disturbing.

I found out the hard way that they like butternut squash...right off the vine. Grrrr...

Today they had a mess of left over sweet cooked potato - I thought they were going to kill each other.
Butternut huh? I had better let my friend know because she has a ton of butternut squash growing and it's her first year with chickens, whom have access to her oh so luscious garden!

Hey, we both have cat avatars on a chicken forum.....LOL

And yes. it is disturbing the way way they like a chicken carcass! I once served it with a platter of leftover deviled eggs, my children were very disturbed by this....hahahahaa

Last edited:
Butternut huh? I had better let my friend know because she has a ton of butternut squash growing and it's her first year with chickens, whom have access to her oh so luscious garden!

Hey, we both have cat avatars on a chicken forum.....LOL

And yes. it is disturbing the way way they like a chicken carcass! I once served it with a platter of leftover deviled eggs, my children were very disturbed by this....hahahahaa
Cooked sweet potato...the orange stuff...my bad.
Yes, tell your friend...butternut takes so long to grow, it's a shame to lose it when it is almost ready to harvest.

Yes, we have cat avatars, is yours in the coop?
We love our kitties...they are all outdoors and do a great job mousing and keeping away undesirable pests.

every morningnow the chickens are on the cat scratcher tree on the porch - staring in the window to see if the cats are being fed. It is hysterical and slightly unnerving watching the cats trying to be "cool" about it.

every morningnow the chickens are on the cat scratcher tree on the porch - staring in the window to see if the cats are being fed. It is hysterical and slightly unnerving watching the cats trying to be "cool" about it.

I LOVE the cat attempt at being cool.
Though we are keeping an eye on our normally docile male cat Guster. He is giving the new chicks too much attention.

Do y'alls chickens love to eat the cat food? We need to put ours up on the window sill or they will devour it when they free range. They make a bee-line for it when they are let our of their run.

Last edited:
Cooked sweet potato...the orange stuff...my bad.
Yes, tell your friend...butternut takes so long to grow, it's a shame to lose it when it is almost ready to harvest.

Yes, we have cat avatars, is yours in the coop?
We love our kitties...they are all outdoors and do a great job mousing and keeping away undesirable pests.
Yes, our adorable little guy is in the coop. He prefers "chicken flavored water" apposed to the plain water I give him. We call him "our favorite chicken, whom lays black and white velvet eggs" as a joke because of his penance of hanging out in the various chicken coops.

This is the cat's favorite coop out of 4 coops and a hen house, it is home to 9 small leghorn pullets at the moment whom need to get a bit bigger before they go to the hen house. I had been keeping my black star hen in it recently who had an injured leg, but she finally decided she was better and moved back into the hen house, so I moved the leg horns in. Her name is Rosie, she listens to nobody, and is my matriarch hen.

Rosie only does what Rosie wants. In fact, she decided she likes the old dresser drawer in the Leghorn coop better than the respectable laying boxes in the hen house. So every morning, when I open the coops for free ranging the Leghorns have to put up with Rosie coming in to lay an egg, and the cat coming in to drink their water. Such a tough life.

I'll let my friend know she might want to limit her chickens access to the garden when her stuff starts to ripen.

Treats Treats Treats! When it comes to giving my flock treats, they go so crazy that i call them my little [COLOR=222222]Velociraptors! I'm even thinking about naming my hen house "Velociraptor coop". [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Their favorite treat of all time is a Costco Rotisserie chicken carcass. My family is a tad wasteful when it comes to rotisserie chicken, we don't pick it very clean, and there is a ton of meat, skin and fat left on it when I give it to them. They know what the container looks like so it's a tad scary to carry it out to them while they are free ranging. I worry they will knock me down and mug me for the chicken carcass. Somehow though, I manage to survive long enough to put it on the ground and watch the crazy Velociraptor show. They get a carcus around 2 days a week and love it.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Other huge hits:[/COLOR] night crawlers bananas scrambled eggs cottage cheese mixed with yogurt butter Last night I made them a giant Popsicle, I hope they like it. I didn't have a lot on hand, so this is not as great as it could be. It has: frozen peas, carrots, and corn rotisserie chicken shredded cheese cooked rice I'll put it out and will report back on how they liked it. It's hot out so I thought they might enjoy a cold treat.
COOL Idea!!!! Great post! :D

COOL Idea!!!! Great post!
big_smile.png
I forgot to post that the Chicken popsicle was a huge hit and it took them a very long time to get it eaten. It kept them busy for hours! I am definitely going to do this again.

Back
Top Bottom