Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

gig.gif
I had to laugh at your post, RJ!! This is the time of year that we get tons of grasshoppers...everywhere. Most days when I'm out there watching chicken TV they're jumping around, which drives my girls nuts because the grasshoppers, while pretty small, don't ever make it through the 1/2" hardware cloth!!
gig.gif

Mine are free ranging and its a hoot watching them chase the grasshoppers. All of them running in different directions, all after their own grasshopper. Its like watching kids playing doge-ball with a half dozen balls.

Sometimes I give my chickens grasshoppers, when someone catches it they run around clucking, with it in their mouth. The others try to steal it from her. I think it is the chicken type of football

I have two chicks (not really chicks) in my house they go outside in the day time. They love crickets it's so funny you will be gardening then a cricket hops out. It gone the chick who ate it sits there the one who did not get it is like where is it do you know where it is?

Can you only use vanilla yogurt or could I give them a flavored type?

I wouldn't give them vanilla or any other flavored yogurt, mainly because it has so much sugar in it. it's almost like pudding! plain only, and even then i only give in moderation; i've heard of some chickens getting the runs because they don't have the enzymes to digest dairy.

we have apple trees and when they fall the birds love it...it gives them something to do as they peck at it...also they will fly up into the tree and make themselves an apple sandwich...

Our chicks favorite treat is uncooked rolled oats, with red grapes and cantaloupe rinds a close tie. I have never fed mine tomatoes and they seem to avoid the ones in the garden, so others feed their chicks tomatoes and they seem to like them?

Our chicks favorite treat is uncooked rolled oats, with red grapes and cantaloupe rinds a close tie. I have never fed mine tomatoes and they seem to avoid the ones in the garden, so others feed their chicks tomatoes and they seem to like them?

Yes, mine LOVE tomatoes. I usually give them the parts i don't want (if they're bruised or not ripe enough) or tomatoes with too much bug damage from the garden.

I've heard that you just need to avoid giving them the greens/vines of the tomato plants as they're toxic (to humans too!) They might avoid them on their own though, I'm not sure.

If they get to roam through your garden though, you might rather not introduce them to how delicious tomatoes are. I know some people complain that their chickens go around and take a bite out of each of their tomatoes!

Back
Top Bottom