Chickens fed flaxseed survive ovarian cancer (higher survivial rates)

acadian97

Chirping
10 Years
I have a hen losing her battle with ovarian cancer.

I found this article that gave me some hope that perhaps
I could help my other hens.

Chickens fed a diet of flaxseed for a year experienced a decreased severity of ovarian cancer and higher survival rates.
The finding is important because the chicken is the only animal where ovarian cancer develops on the ovary surface,
as it does in humans. Flaxseed, the richest plant source of alpha-linolenic acid, has also been shown to inhibit the
formation of colon, breast, skin, and lung tumors. (Credit: U. Illinois)

U. ILLINOIS (US)—Chickens consuming a diet rich in flaxseed experienced a decreased severity of ovarian cancer and
increased survival rates. The finding is significant because ovarian cancer in humans develops in a similar way.

“The chicken is the only animal that spontaneously develops ovarian cancer on the surface of the ovaries like humans,” says Janice Bahr, professor emerita in animal sciences at the University of Illinois. “In this study, we evaluated how a flaxseed-enriched diet affected 2-year-old laying hens (hens that have ovulated as many times as a woman entering menopause).”

Flaxseed is the richest plant source of alpha-linolenic acid, one type of omega-3 fatty acid. Several studies have already shown that flaxseed inhibits the formation of colon, breast, skin, and lung tumors.

“Though hens fed the flaxseed diet did not have a decreased incidence of ovarian cancer, they did experience fewer late-stage tumors and higher survival rates,” Bahr says. The research was published in Gynecologic Oncology.

“In hens fed flaxseed, we found that more tumors were confined to the ovary and they had less metastatic spread,” Bahr explains. “This is an important finding as the metastases that accompany late-stage ovarian cancer are the main cause of death from this disease.

“If the cancer is found at an early stage, when the tumor is still confined to the ovary, women have a much better prognosis and more treatment options.”

There are 25,000 women diagnosed with ovarian cancer each year and 15,000 die. “Most women diagnosed with ovarian cancer have a very poor prognosis because they are not diagnosed until stage 3 or 4 when the cancer has metastasized and spread to other parts of the body,” Bahr says.

Researchers also found that hens fed the flaxseed diet had better weight control which is important because obesity increases cancer risk.

Both diets had equal caloric content, but the flaxseed-fed hens weighed less at six months than the control-fed hens. At 12 months, the flaxseed-fed hens were the same weight and the control-fed hens had loss significant weight, which is indicative of failing health.

Ultimately, the flaxseed-enriched diet helped the birds maintain a healthy weight and resulted in less sickness and death.

“Through this research, we have proven that flaxseed supplementation for one year is able to reduce the severity of ovarian cancer in hens,” she says. “These findings may provide the basis for a clinical trial that evaluates the efficacy of flaxseed as a chemosuppressant of ovarian cancer in women.”

Researchers from Southern Illinois University, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Rush University Medical Center contributed to the study, which was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, the American Institute for Cancer Research, and NIH Training.

From the University of Illinois news

I've seen that and I do give flax seed on occasion, but have lost so many to internal laying already. Hopefully, I can afford to give more of that in future generations, but just keeping good breeder quality birds rather than hatchery stock should cut down on the frequency of that in my flock.

Quote:
Do you think that certain chicken breeds might be more prone to ovarian cancer?

My black star hen started retaining fluida and the vet said it was a 50/50 chance of being ovarian cancer or an infection.
The antibiotics have had no affect. My husband is also attached to our star and he wants to have the vet drain
the fluid off one more time.

The vet told us that hens that do not get the marek shot as chicks have a 45% chance of getting ovarian cancer.

High production birds are more prone, which basically includes all the most common hatchery types, especially the sex links.

The vet's statement:

The vet told us that hens that do not get the marek shot as chicks have a 45% chance of getting ovarian cancer.

doesn't make sense to me, but I have no experience or knowledge of any correlation between Mareks and internal laying.

Not one of my birds has been vaccinated for Marek's (or anything else). None of my breeder quality birds have had Mareks vaccinations and not one has died from internal laying. I'm sure it isn't impossible, but so far, has not happened.

All of the ones who malfunctioned in this manner have been hatchery stock except for one and she was the daughter of a hatchery BR.

Hens are the only animals that get spontaneous ovarian cancers like human women anyway, which is why they use hens in scientific research of it. When broodiness is bred out of them on top of that, so that they have no extended break, you have an egg machine that malfunctions easily.​

I'm so glad to see this post - I'm a new member, and I too just read the flax seed & ovarian cancer article referenced. I just lost one of my sweet hens to ovarian cancer. She was an ISA sex-link brown/red, and I suspected that the fact that they've been bred to fire out as many eggs as possible during the first 2 years was at the root of it. I'm now looking into heritage breeds, to add a few new hens to my little flock, in the hope that they will live longer and produce eggs on a more natural (and less stressful to their health) schedule. Does anyone know if any breeds are less likely to develop ovarian cancer? I'm not interested in meat production (they are pets!) - just a reasonable number of eggs. I'm thinking of either Sussex or Americauna... thoughts? I'm a bit limited in what is available up here - we live in the north, but am interested to hear what other members think.

For anyone interested, I had taken my hen to the vet several times to try different treatment (they don't get a whole lot of chickens in, so unfortunately neither the vet nor I recognized that it was ovarian cancer until we did the autopsy). The tumours were huge, and on both sides. They looked like hardened boiled egg yolk material with a bit of pink streaking (blood), that was sort of layered like an onion. They were occupying pretty much all of the space in her abdomen, and so she was unable to process food, and just wasted away. She only weighed 1.4 kg in the end. I'm now feeding the rest of the hens flax seed, and am feeling their abdomens regularly, since the hardened tumours were actually quite easy to feel from the outside. I suspect that one of the other hens may also have ovarian cancer, since she is developing a slightly puffed up appearance and has abdominal tenderness. I'm so glad that we did the autopsy on the hen that died, since now both the vet and I know to watch for it. I'm not going to get ISA sex-links again, if I can help it... they have lovely personalities, and are amazing egg producers, but they have been engineered for a commercial setting where their post-2 year health was not considered to be important.

Bring on the flax seed!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom