chickens going to bed early

stokes

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Waterford Ireland
Hi stokes here from Ireland. Need help I have 2 hybrids that went broody took me a week to get them to leave coop everything seemed grand now bantam stopped laying but not broody. Now notice 1 chicken mooting and its only July and all heading into coop 3 hrs earlier than normal. All still eating and have full use of garden and seem healthy. What's wrong?

Welcome to BYC!! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chickens go to bed on their own time. Sometimes they switch their time. There is nothing to worry about as far as that goes. Make sure your hens have calcium, food, water and greens daily. She may just be taking a break.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I would give her an overall exam to make sure she is not suffering from something. If she seems healthy enough, like Mountain Peeps said, chickens decide when they are ready for roosting. Some are early to bed and others are late to rise!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC - all may be getting ready to molt. As long as they are eating and acting normally otherwise, I would not worry about them.

Maybe they are just bored
gig.gif
and need some excitement in their lives. Maybe a head of cabbage suspended from a line so they can go after it. Are you having a spell of bad weather or anything to dim their spirits? If they seem well in other aspects, I would just keep a good eye on them. BTW Welcome to BYC.

They seem to be in good health eating and drinking have full use of the garden.I have 2 production chickens that are 10 months old and a Dutch bantam all stop laying at same time.One of them has started to molt.The only other thing I can think of is we had a mini heatwave last week if that's anything to do with it

Back
Top Bottom