Chickens have red, swollen vent areas, but no parasites?

Tyranno-Chicken Rex

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2023
I noticed a couple of my chickens had a red and swollen vent area this afternoon, and while taking pictures noticed a third one. I checked each for other symptoms of parasites: they’re all pretty active, don’t seem agitated, eating well, and no red spots or moving black specks or bugs in the affected area. (Please note in the pictures attached the black spots on one of the chickens is apparently the root of a feather; I checked.)
The chickens are about 9mo, no poop or odd discharge, so I’m not sure if it could be vent gleet?
Please tell me if you need more information or clearer pictures, I’m just realizing how low quality these are!

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2845.jpeg
    IMG_2845.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 14
It looks more like feather picking, probably happening on the roosts. You may need to add some roost space. I would do some observing, see if you can see what's going on. The feathers may not grow back until they molt. Exposed skin often looks redder.

Thank you, I will check on them later tonight to check the situation on roosting space!
I was hoping the skin was only red because of the weather, its been 20-30s recently—which is not an unusually cold temperature at all where I live, but perhaps for them it is…

Feather picking can be caused by cramped quarters, nutrition deficiency or boredom
Yes I think they might not have enough roosting space:
We bought a coop-building kit (had the most space for a good expense) which came with 2 square roosting bars, but we added in a round pole as an extra roosting bar in the coop when we realized they wouldn’t have enough space. When I checked on them this evening, 4 chickens had crammed themselves on the square roosting bar and one was sleeping in a nesting box(!), but the round bar was empty. I think they might not like round roosting bars 🤷‍♂️. So I’m gonna plane it down into a square one.

Hope that helps. The recommendations for how many birds a coop will hold are often way over estimated, especially with pre-builts. I've seen them claim to be large enough for 6-8 birds and I wouldn't put more than 2 in there. The behavior of the birds is the most important factor. One dominant bird can change everything, or make it too small. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps. The recommendations for how many birds a coop will hold are often way over estimated, especially with pre-builts. I've seen them claim to be large enough for 6-8 birds and I wouldn't put more than 2 in there. The behavior of the birds is the most important factor. One dominant bird can change everything, or make it too small. Just something to keep in mind.
Yeah, we researched coop sizes before getting our chickens, and I’m so glad we did because our current coop supposedly fits 12, but it‘s perfect for the 6 pullets we planned on getting. Well…other than the roosting space.

Back
Top Bottom