Swollen chicken

If she gets more uncomfortable I would consider draining her or taking her to a vet. If she has water belly, there is no cure.
She’s still moving around a little when she’s out of her cage, but what happens if it’s not water Nelly and I drain her, will that hurt her

Has she been eating and drinking? You don’t have to drain her belly. I usually don’t but it is a way of knowing if it is water belly or not. If you get up yellow fluid with a needle and large syringe, that is water belly. If you get nothing, then it is unknown. She can have water and food, sugar water 1 tsp per cup of water or electrolytes. Whatever she wants.

She’s a rescue so I don’t know how old she is

The only thing wrong with her is the swollen bum, she’s also a little less active that usual but no where near lethargic

She’s still moving around a little when she’s out of her cage,
How is she being kept?
You mention she moves around when she's out of her cage, is she in a coop/run or caged quite often?

Where are you located in the world?
What is "rescue" - is she an ex Batt hen or just a hen you got from someone?

If she's eating/drinking/relatively active, has space to roam about in the yard/run, then I'd just monitor her for now and see how it goes.
Without knowing her age and/or her history, she may be starting to have reproductive problems that are common in laying hens.

How is she being kept?
You mention she moves around when she's out of her cage, is she in a coop/run or caged quite often?

If she's eating/drinking/relatively active, has space to roam about in the yard/run, then I'd just monitor her for now and see how it goes.
Without knowing her age and/or her history, she may be starting to have reproductive problems that are common in laying hens.
She is just a hen I got from someone, she is kept in a large rabbit cage she vivan comfertably stand and move in, she has been kept in for around three days and I might put her back with the flock since water belly’s not contagious if she keeps eating, or at least free range her daily. She would be on a large coop but I have a contagious chicken in there right now. I might keep her in the cage for longer too make sure she’s eating and drinking more than when I’m giving her mealworms but I’ll definitely start free ranging her.

How is she being kept?

Also can she have reproductive problems without having an egg stick, because I check daily but there is no egg

She is just a hen I got from someone, she is kept in a large rabbit cage she vivan comfertably stand and move in, she has been kept in for around three days and I might put her back with the flock since water belly’s not contagious if she keeps eating, or at least free range her daily. She would be on a large coop but I have a contagious chicken in there right now. I might keep her in the cage for longer too make sure she’s eating and drinking more than when I’m giving her mealworms but I’ll definitely start free ranging her.

Also can she have reproductive problems without having an egg stick, because I check daily but there is no egg
If she's able to eat/drink on her own, is able to move about on her own, then let her have some space somewhere. Put her in a pen or run by herself if possible. A rabbit cage is a bit too small to be in all day long.

Yes, a hen can have reproductive problems without and egg being stuck.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, another contagious chicken? It may be time to close your flock, address the issues that you have and not take on any new birds for a while.

If she's able to eat/drink on her own, is able to move about on her own, then let her have some space somewhere. Put her in a pen or run by herself if possible. A rabbit cage is a bit too small to be in all day long.

Yes, a hen can have reproductive problems without and egg being stuck.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, another contagious chicken? It may be time to close your flock, address the issues that you have and not take on any new birds for a while.
I have had my flock closed for about a year now, this chicken just randomly got sick

Back
Top Bottom