Chickens haven't laid eggs in about a week

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Hello. I'm pretty new at chicken keeping and have had my first chickens for a little under a year now. They are a little over a year old and free range in our backyard all the time (pretty much daily). Over the past week my 3 "easter eggers" have not laid a single egg. I have 1 RIR and she is still laying on a regular basis. The only thing I can think of that we started doing differently was adding flax seed to they're feed. We didn't know what we were doing and may have added to much the first time around. I did some research and added the correct amount this time. Does anyone know what could possibly be going on? I live in Michigan if that makes any difference. Thanks

It was very hot when it started but has since cooled down to the 70's. I've looked to see if any eggs are hidden and didn'd find any. Maybe it was the heat. Thanks

Hens often go into a 'malt' and don't lay eggs for several week, this usually happens due to a change in climate, for example they go into malt through the winter when temperatures are cooler.

Sometimes you can trick them into a malt by shutting them away in the dark for some time, then they may start laying again.

Also, my brothers have been known to stop laying if the water is old, for example he collected rainwater but it knocked them of laying.

Hopefully this helps, it's just knowledge from previous experiences so some may be wrong

Last edited:
I also thought maybe they were molting but are they a little young yet?

Thanks for the suggestions but I free range and don't want to lock them up
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom