chickens in autumn and winter and chicken roost

chickenpets786

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
I have two chickens and do not lay.The reason for this is the cold, how can i help by feeding them.I feed them layer pellets and seeds as well.Also i bought a chicken roost which they do not use unfortunately.Can you help me please?

Several things.
As creatures of habit, if they haven't had roosts before, they are accustomed to sleeping on the floor. It will take a while to gravitate toward roosts. You can place them on the roost at night to hasten the process.
Where are you located?
Do you only have 2 chickens?
How old are they?
Have they laid before and just quit or haven't started yet?
I would not be feeding layer feed to birds not producing egg shells.
They're not, not laying because of the cold. Cold has little to do with it. Cold just happens to coincide with shortening days. Day length being the main determinant for commencement of lay.

Layer feed is only for hens that are actively producing eggs. The calcium content in layer feed is too much for hens that aren't actually producing eggs.
As for the roosts, sometimes you need to 'train' them to roost. That means every night, before you shut the coop up, you physically pick them up and set them on the roosts. After a few nights, most birds seem to figure it out and start roosting on their own.

ok thankyou
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom