chickens in cold rain

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
how cold is too cold when it’s raining to let the chickens run around in it?
My chickens are chocolate Orpington they’re very fluffy and very good in cold weather, but I’m still concerned about them getting wet. the other day, I carried each chicken from the coop to the old covered run on the other side of the yard and locked them in there so they wouldn’t get wet, the temperature was low 40s and it was raining. They hate being locked up but like I said I want them to stay dry and healthy.
today is raining but it’s 50°. There are plenty of places they can hide under if they want to be out of the rain however they do get wet I’ve seen them on warmer rainy days they don’t get soaked to the bone or anything but they do get wet how cold is too cold to let them run around in it?
I know it’s stupid that the run is on the other side of the muddy hill yard from the chicken coop. That’s just the way it is presently due to all kinds of circumstances.

Last edited:
I let my flock decide that. They are free to go in or out as they please. Even hens w chicks. They do go out in the rain when it’s almost freezing out. But if it snows, forget it. They hate walking on snow and all huddle under covered areas.

I let my flock decide that. They are free to go in or out as they please. Even hens w chicks. They do go out in the rain when it’s almost freezing out. But if it snows, forget it. They hate walking on snow and all huddle under covered areas.
That’s good to know that’s what I would like to do. I would like to trust them to take care of themselves. I like to hope that they’re smarter than turkeys many years ago I had turkeys and I always thought that they were so stupid when They would just stand in the pouring rain.
My ducks and geese love the rain and I don’t worry about them at all because they’re waterproof lol

You've got it. Give them options and they'll decide what is too cold/wet. Wind also plays a part in their choice.

Most chickens are actually semi-waterproof, just not to the same extent as ducks. (Not sure about silkies or other odd-feather breeds). I frequently see mine out grazing when the temperatures are reasonable and there is a light rain. When you see them grooming, they will often use the oil gland just in front of their tail. They apply that oil on their feathers to make them water-resistant.

50°F is nothing for chickens. Feathers are very insulating. Mine are out all day well below that. I just make sure that they have good sheltered areas when they want it.

Back
Top Bottom