Chickens in suburbia...need help with Rules!

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Quick question...I am hoping that some of you may have the ammunition that I need so that I can convince my HOA that I can have chickens. They are legal here in San Diego, as long as it is within certain restrictions (under 25 birds, housed 50' from residences)

So I asked my HOA representative about it here is the conversation:

I am curious about pet restrictions. I think Scott had mentioned that we know someone who has chickens here in Scripps.I am wondering if the HOA has specific pet restrictions or if we all just fall under the City Municipal Code.

Yes Chickens in a residential neighborhood are against the San Diego Municipal code
Actually, it is not against the San Diego Muni. Code, that is why I am asking if there are HOA restriction. I can not find anything on it in the CC&Rs. Below is a copy of the section pertaining to chickens and other unusual animals: 42.0709 Fowl, Rabbits, Racing or Homing Pigeons or Fancy Pigeons, Maintenance—
Regulations and Exceptions
(a) No fowl or rabbits shall be kept or maintained within fifty (50) feet of any
building used for residential purposes
(there is much more but it does not pertain).

Part A would apply to this issue Fowl can be chickens ( I am LMAO at this point!)

Yes, as long as they are housed 50' from the residence is how I read that...would you agree? That is why I am asking about HOA imposed pet restrictions.

Yes you are correct, would say that the chickens are 50' from the residence? According to the civil code law book it states that the Association can determine what exactly pet means. I personally don't think that a chicken is considered a pet. So what I am going to do is speak with the Association Manager tomorrow when he returns into the office. There is nothing in the CC&R's nor the Rules and Regs that specifically say chickens/birds are prohibited. Please see the attached documents. Once I speak with the Association Manager I will let you know what he says.

The attachment of Rules & Regs was very vague stating that we are allowed to have 'domesticated' birds, dogs and animals. When I look up 'Domesticated birds' I find Chickens! LOL.

Does anyone have any advice on this, it is going to be an arm wrestle to get them to allow me to have a few hens and I want to be prepared
smile.png

Google "domestic pet" "Domestic animal." Then get info on chickens as pets. Also, think "green." Your best ammo will be any immediate neighbors, if they are ok, then things can go smooth.

If it were me, I would get the chickens first, then have them prove they are not pets. Sounds like if they (the manager does not like them) they will rule against you.

Good Luck!

Unfortunately, most county officials etc., don't even know what their own rules are, or are not. I would definitely get my chickens, and if you get some type of violation, I would take it to court, along with their "Own" rules. And they can't change them as long as you now live there while the rules state "nothing" about the situation. People have fears of having chickens around because all they think about is "salmonella, etc., " Just get all your chicks in a basket (No pun intended) and if you really want chickens, go for it.

Thanks so much for the replies!
Now she sent me an email stating the following:

No animals of any kind shall be, raised, bred or kept on the the properties, except that a reasonable number of dogs cats or other HOUSEHOLD pets may be kept........etc. Since chickens are not a household pet we can send them a letter.
Sending them a letter refers to my DDs friend who has 3 chickens. I told our HOA rep that we knew a family in the community that had chickens and were they allowed. I would never give out their address of course!
Now I am working on finding the docs so that I can read the wording for myself.

Quote:
Wow! Congrats that is fabulous! I would love to know more. I can't open your link though
sad.png

Our server is down right now (I am Envirogirl11's mom)... hope it will be back up tomorrow.... check the site then. On the "Chicken Laws" page, if you scroll down into the text there's a link to the archived web site we used during our "campaign" last summer. There are lots of articles, and documents there you're welcome to use. let us know if we can help further.
Stacey

Thank you SeaChick, I did as Cheryl suggested and did a Google....quite impressive!

As for me, it is legal citywide, but our HOA has dictated NO. I am still investigating and researching however I fear that our small little community may be a bit too snobby for chickens. Everyone is a bit busy shining up their Mercedes and Escalades to stop and think about something as practical as keeping chickens.
sad.png

If I were to petition around, I would not expect to gain much support. The 'green-ness' of it all is wonderful and makes perfect sense to me, but I don't think many of my neighbors would be excepting of chickens in my backyard.

I will check out your web site tomorrow. If you have any other words of wisdom or advice I would welcome any input!

My suburban home has resonable codes for once. Chickens can be kept on 1 acre as long as the neighbors don't complain your fine
big_smile.png

We have mini horses 3 doors down they need 3 arcres though 1/5 per horse. Goats need 1 acre per goat. Cows need 3 acres per cow. Horses need 3 acres per horse. No pigs and sheep are the same as goats. I think my towns codes are great and better for everybody I only have 1 acre so I have chickens.

Good Luck,
Henry

Back
Top Bottom