chickens in the hot weather! help!

hii! im in oregon and they are in the shade almost all the time until the sun hits (isny really often and they still have shade in the run) i dont know the breeds of all the chickens rn. how do you suggest i ventilate their coop?
Hi Anne,

I'm in Camas, WA (just across from Portland). Forecast high is 116 today. I don't get too worried when they're not in the coop. They have a lot of shade and water. I do add an extra water bowl when it gets real hot and I add ice to the bowl a few times a day. I also give them frozen treats like fruit from time to time. As for the coop I have a few ideas (and I have videos if you want them). My coop is shaded in the morning by a tree, so that helps. When I moved to this house, the coop was included. It had a dark blue metal roof. Pretty much the worst roof I could have in bad heat. I made a couple of upgrades to help with heat (and moisture in the wintertime). First, I painted the roof with a white coating made to reflect the heat. That alone helped a ton. Second, I installed a 10" greenhouse fan which is plugged into a smart plug and controlled with a remote app. The coop isn't wired for power. Just an extension cord for power.

Chickens have 4 layers of feathers. That's a lot of insulation. Insulation works both ways, just like your house. Ever see someone from hot Arab nations? They are wearing a LOT of breathable clothing because it keeps them COOLER. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. Chickens are amazing. Make sure they have shade and water and they'll do well.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom