Chickens Inexplicably Dying

The video doesn't do them justice, they all have pretty bright red combs. The youngest bird(s) in the flock are almost 24 weeks.

After watching in full screen, I'm seeing several that aren't quite right, but trying really hard to seem normal. It's chicken instinct to try to hide illness. Many times, it's not till they are on death's door that it's apparent that something is wrong.
Tail sets, gingerly walking, aimless wandering around the edge of the pen, pale combs, a few are visibly off balance. You've got something seriously wrong. They just don't look right. Get that dead bird tested, ASAP.

They also don't really have anything to do. It is pretty barren in there. No opportunity for foraging/scratching.
Just a head of cabbage, kale or something similar hanging in the run would give them something to do and some fresh greens.

Hi, don't have another answer for your problem but I do for the free ranging. I have had the odd one try to hop the fence and I just catch it and clip the feathers on one wing, usually only have to do it once, they seem to learn they can't fly and stop trying. Good luck

They also don't really have anything to do. It is pretty barren in there. No opportunity for foraging/scratching.
Just a head of cabbage, kale or something similar hanging in the run would give them something to do and some fresh greens.
I let them out for about 15 minutes earlier and they seemed to like it, we'll do it again here in a bit ... I usually just tear up the greens in pieces but I'll go get a head of cabbage and let them get after it.

Thanks all for the tips and info.

Back
Top Bottom