Chickens killed by mysterious animal and weird circumstances

Jun 27, 2023
Hi, yesterday I found two hens dead in my coop, in their nesting boxes, one right besides one another. There where six hens in the coop at the time and the others where all ignored and were broody on the bottom row of nesting boxes (the dead ones where on top). There were signs of struggle both their necks where broken. I live in the Southern US states where there really aren't any weasels. I am just flabbergasted to what could have done it. Then hens seemed to have been killed one right after another, without having tried to flee as they where still in the nesting box. These where beloved pets and I am really scared of something to happen like this again. I am not sure if they where killed during the day or night. I just don't know what would have killed only two of them, and so quickly.

questions: what is their coop like? what type of wire do you use? is it roofed? is there any indication of something digging under? edit: yes southern states do have weasels so its a possibility

Sorry for your loss.
Any punctures?
Their necks were not broken, dead chicken necks are naturally very floppy.
What are your temperatures?
Can we see pictures of your coop?
What is your area? County of state/province? North/west/south/east/central (i.e) Vermont?

Pictures of your set up would be very helpful. You really need to secure your coop so that this can't happen again, or if it was a predator, whatever it was, will probably be back. Once a predator is successful, they usually return. If you have, or can borrow, a game camera, I would set it up so that you can try to identify whatever it is, but a properly secured coop/run should be able to keep anything out smaller than a bear. Predators are very good at finding weaknesses in your set up and getting in. Were there any wounds on the dead birds? Feathers missing and laying around?

Back
Top Bottom