Chickens laying slowed after feeder jam

sbbcc

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Long story short, I was out of town and it wasnt noticed that the feeder jammed for a day or possibly two. During this time they were free ranging however their egg production has significantly decreased since then. I have fixed the feeder issue so it wont happen again but is there anything I can do to get them laying like they were or just wait it out?

Long story short, I was out of town and it wasnt noticed that the feeder jammed for a day or possibly two. During this time they were free ranging however their egg production has significantly decreased since then. I have fixed the feeder issue so it wont happen again but is there anything I can do to get them laying like they were or just wait it out?

You probably just have to wait it out.

Obviously, make sure the feeder does not jam again, and double-check the water as well. Other than that, it's just a matter of letting them eat as much as they want to make up for what they missed, and waiting for their bodies to get back in laying mode.

Yep, wait it out.
If you live in the northern hemisphere and the birds are older than about 14 months, they may molt and start up laying again after the days start getting longer again in late december.

Set up another feeder next time you leave, to make sure they get what they need, same with the water dispensers, just in case.

How old are they? I doubt a day or two would cause significant egg slowing. They have a whole conveyor belt of eggs at varying stages of doneness already lined up in their bodies, ready to finish up and come out one at a time. So things that affect laying don't usually do it right away, there's a delay. I'm asking how old they are because this is a very common situation with new chicken owners and their first flocks. Pullets tend to lay through their first winter (and don't molt at that time), but by their second winter they slow down or stop for their first molt, and then for the winter. People who don't know this, and who remember their chickens laying fine the previous fall, start looking for things to blame, from minor changes or mishaps in their daily routine to conspiracies like accusing the industry/government of tampering with chicken feed. When in fact it's just their chickens' natural time to slow down or stop, nothing else.

How old are they? I doubt a day or two would cause significant egg slowing. They have a whole conveyor belt of eggs at varying stages of doneness already lined up in their bodies, ready to finish up and come out one at a time. So things that affect laying don't usually do it right away, there's a delay.
But when something does affect laying, that whole "conveyor belt" has to get going again before they can resume laying.

Broody hens re-absorb all those egg yolks, and I wondered if something similar had happened to OP's birds.

I'm asking how old they are because this is a very common situation with new chicken owners and their first flocks. Pullets tend to lay through their first winter (and don't molt at that time), but by their second winter they slow down or stop for their first molt, and then for the winter. People who don't know this, and who remember their chickens laying fine the previous fall, start looking for things to blame, from minor changes or mishaps in their daily routine to conspiracies like accusing the industry/government of tampering with chicken feed. When in fact it's just their chickens' natural time to slow down or stop, nothing else.
That is a good point, that I hadn't considered (although given the time of year, I certainly should have thought of it!)

That is a good point, that I hadn't considered (although given the time of year, I certainly should have thought of it!)
It's not as bad on BYC, but I'm also in a local facebook group (where the main population is new/inexperienced owners) and my GOODNESS the absolute deluge we see every fall - OMG my chickens slowed/stopped laying! Are they sick? Are they hiding the eggs? Is it the feed? It's the vaccines, isn't it! It's chemtrails! It's the aliens! :lol: On one hand, I understand that you gotta start somewhere when you're new and you just don't know better, but on the other hand, the place you start should be some reading up on the life cycles of chickens... not blowing up social media...

Back
Top Bottom