Chickens LOVE pasta!

acid_chipmunk

Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Today my 7 week old girls had their first treat of leftover pasta. They weren't too sure about it at first, but then...

52537_s7302633.jpg

The "big girls" (year old hens) had their share too...

52537_s7302635.jpg

only advice is make sure it is very well cooked. as you know, pasta "grows" when moistened, and you wouldn't want it to get any bigger in their little crops and cause problems.

looks like they liked it!! have fun!

I cut open a cantelope yesterday and watched the madness

You can feed pasta to your chickens??? Sorry to barge in on this topic
what about leftovers? mashed potatoes (with milk and butter) Rice?
my mom gave her leftovers to her RIR but I was always a little nervous about that because sometimes there would be meat in it (like in spaghetti sauce)
Are potato peels safe

my mom gave her leftovers to her RIR but I was always a little nervous about that because sometimes there would be meat in it (like in spaghetti sauce)

Chickens eat meat. Leftovers with meat are more healthy for them than giving them leftovers without, like plain pasta. Too much carbs cuts into the protein percentage of their daily diet.​

Quote:
Chickens eat meat. Leftovers with meat are more healthy for them than giving them leftovers without, like plain pasta. Too much carbs cuts into the protein percentage of their daily diet.

that said, can you still use the poop as compost for your garden?

I saw this just in time I have some leftover ziti with a little sauce and some ground turkey I was going to put in the compost, I will give some to the girls tomorrow...

Quote:
Chickens eat meat. Leftovers with meat are more healthy for them than giving them leftovers without, like plain pasta. Too much carbs cuts into the protein percentage of their daily diet.

that said, can you still use the poop as compost for your garden?

It has to do with e. coli bacteria. What you feed your animals won't change that. Composting might or might not get hot enough to kill it. We take a chance with e. coli every time we buy veggies in the grocery store anyway - remember a few years ago, it was green onions. Wash veggies and be very selective about what you eat raw, under any circumstances.

High protein diet can lead to high nitrogen manure, which is good. Chicken manure is pretty "hot" with nitrogen no matter what they eat, and needs to be composted to not burn plants. Think about the dead brown grass followed by very dark green grass where dogs have "gone."

Some people say not to use ANY animal manure to fertilize ANY vegetables.

Some people say not to use fertilize things like potatoes, onions and carrots with manure, but things like corn, tomatoes and beans or peas are okay, because they're not growing in the potentially contaminated soil.

Personally, I'll rototill it into the hardpan clay where I'd like to have lawn again someday. My soil is about 1/4" deep. I haven't bothered trying to have veggie garden for several years. Then I'll use it for corn and tomatoes.

Quote:
Meats and fats shouldn't go into the compost, as it attracts vermin and ants to the pile. It can also get stinky. Chickens are great "pre-composters" for fats and meat scraps, given in moderation to not mess up their diets.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think you are suppose to give raw potatoe peels, only cooked. I will have to look it up and find out why. My brain is tired tonight and I forgot. Will get back to you on the peels.

Here's the link about treats and foods to avoid
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Potato plants make a toxin in their leaves and stems. If the potato tubers (the "spuds") are exposed to light the plant can make the toxin in the skins. The toxin makes you crampy and stuff - it's gastrointestinal. I don't recommend it.

If you grow potatoes, you cover the runners and tubers up with straw or something like that to shade them and keep them moist.

Back
Top Bottom