Chickens neck has been skinned and she's limping but no obviouse wounds.

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
We have 7 production reds and they sometimes sneak off into the neighbor yards, so when my husband came and told me that one of them was in our front yard and her neck was fatherless I thought maybe she pissed a neighbor off or got her head stuck in a fence and skinned her feathers off herself. However as I walked her back to our backyard all 7 of our reds came running to to me like I was going to feed them... so now I'm here wondering where in the world did this bird come from and are her injuries life threatening... and are they human inflicted or possibly inflicted by another animal... we don't have many predators around here (in hawaii) and the worst thing for chickens are cats but we have several feral cats that hang around our yard and don't bother any of our chickens (not even the chicks)... so I dont think it was a cat... but I'm no expert. Any idea if this bird will fare alright tonight? I gave her food and water and holed her up in an old rabbit hutch away from my other chickens. She ate a ton, drank a little and fell asleep with her head under her wing in some hay (she wouldn't perch). Is there anything else I should do for her? She was doing some weird neck moves when she ate so I'm assuming her neck is a bit sore... but otherwise she seems to be alright (mostly).

Attachments

• 20210501_185601.jpg
    20210501_185601.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210501_185944.jpg
    20210501_185944.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 11
I would say that might be one lucky chicken that ended up at your place! Are your neighbors missing any birds? It could have been she was stuck in a f nice or something, or a bird of prey could have snatched her and she fell from its grasp. I know Hawaii has hawks, and ospreys although not too sure ospreys would try to take a chicken. Hawks might though. Could have been another predator too such as a dog.

To me this looks like feather picking or she stuck her head through a metal fence and rubbed the feathers off by doing so.

I f you want to keep her, I would suggest to treat her for internal and external parasites including scaly leg mites.

Lucky hen to end up in your loving care. :thumbsup

Hawks are scarce and no foxes here in hawaii luckily. The closest we have is a mongoose and they're certainly not capable of taking on a chicken. I plan on asking our neighbor down the road if she's missing a hen. She's the only one I know of that has production reds too. If any of our other neighborhood neighbors have them, I've never seen them. My husband joked that someone was probably prepping her to eat and she got away... I'm thinking she just got her head stuck in a fence or something... but Lord knows how or why she ended up in our gated front yard. Either way, shes happily perched and singing this morning.

She seems to be trying to lay an egg. She's in the nesting box purring and fluffed up but she seems tired and sore and hasn't actually laid yet. I'm wondering if she'll manage to actually lay or not, poor thing seems pretty uncomfortable though.

Back
Top Bottom