chickens neck

the medication in the chick starter (scratch is never medicated) is for cocci at sub-therapeutic levels and is not necessary at this age...

Ok thank you for the information on the feed.I have been offering her oatmeal she does not seem to eat much but has been eating the yogurt.Sadly I have been giving her the meds from the vet for almost 2 weeks and she still most the time stands with her head hanging are almost like in a headstand position.When she is standing with her head up her neck isnever normally straight.
sad.png

dlhunicorn, do you think it would help for her to try giving some additional vitamins for a few days, at this point? Just in case the feed is older or the heat has dissipated some of it's nutrition and the bird has been under so much physical stress? Something like one of the good and complete poultry supplements? I'm concerned that it's been 2 weeks without more improvement.

I guess I'm thinking of the stories of silkies that have had neck problems that seemed to improve with improved nutrition and wondering if this bird might be having nutritional problems as a complication to the original issues. It's just a thought.

MissBell, have you followed up with your vet recently, to let your vet know how your girl is doing? What antibiotic has she been on?

I am unaware of the "meds from the vet" that she has been giving...

>>>if the only thing this bird has been eating is a bit of oatmeal and yogurt ...well that cannot be good.... if she is unable to eat then you can go to the petstore (something like petsmart or such) that will have specialized baby parrot hand feeding formula (this comes in a powder and you just add water) because this is what you need to mix in with some of her normal feed and a bit of water ...this concentrates the nutrition so she gets more nutrition when she eats just a bit...
The poultry vitamin/nutritional supplement I always reccommend is AviaCharge 2000 as it is a COMPLETE poultry nutritional supplement in addition to having all the (minimum) micro and macro nutrients and vitamins in the correct ratio to each other as recommended by the NRC... you can purchase this online at McMurry or Strombergs...

MISS BELL >>>can you please update us and give us more detailed info on exactly what measures you have taken (medication/vitamins/feed) so we are able to help you more?

Last edited:
I take her back to the vet this weekend she eats chicken crumbles also she eats corn along with the yogurt.She seems to eat plenty but I also will get her some vitamins.She is taking Ditrim 2 times a day and the silver sulfadiazine put on her neck.I am wondering if she did some permanent damage to her neck it feels as a slight bend at the base.I still have her indoors as she wont be in the heat as I am in Florida.I will take some more pictures of her this evening

ep.gif
...I fear I have made a grave error and confused this neck problem with another polish that apparently got pecked on the head
duc.gif

...feel a total IDIOT
smack.gif
(I have edited out that statement)
The antibiotics are of course completely indicated in this case.
With a very bad injury there may be permanent damage... I am wonderinging if some soothing Aloe Vera (topical) might not help?
(again so very sorry for my previous statement on the AB)

Last edited:
Thats ok I thought you might have her confused with another Hen you answer so many.If I send a picture of her neck to you maybe you can give me more advice.If not we may have to put her down not a choice I like but for Quality of life for her. Like I said the base of her neck feels a slight curvature and by her head it seems stiff with a slight bend also

...sure...
I am also remembering a vet tip about a med that might be of some slight help (will have to go look up where it is)... if it is skeletal of course it would not help...

Back
Top Bottom