Chickens Not Allowed, Going to Anyway.

ANY animal is a potential liability and huge responsibility. .

You assume I leave for a 9-5 job and neglegt my animals days on length. I don't. I'm commanded to care for my animals to the best of my ability and so much that I am commanded to feed them before I feed myself. I work from home most days and will get 3 day stints on site. Well, when Daddy is gone Shelby the dog whines. My post was more of a vented frustration towards pet ownership and neighbor complaints. They were being asses for not addressing me, as a neighbor, first. calling authorities was being overzealous. I brought them a dozen eggs and welcomed them to the neighborhood when they moved in. They've been very cold. And I admit bringing a dog home has not been a wise decision but I was a sucker for that beagle face. I was also an *** about how I dealt with my neighbor, duly admitted. Shelby's a good dog, but very needy for attention and will beg for it. A daily walk doesn't cut it. So, we're finding Shelby a new home. She needs constant attention or a muzzle. LOL. If you're in AZ and want a 4 year old beagle, she's precious and wants ALOT of love.

My cat was de-clawed as a kitten by the breeder, very gentle with the full grown chickens (never left unattended obviously, because nature is nature). For the most part the bengal cat is now kept exclusively inside for HIS OWN GOOD, unless I am in the yard with him. He likes to chew on the leaves and grass. Again, I don't let the cat prowl unattended (leave the door open while I work on the patio) because I'm afraid some one will shoot him or something. People overreact quite a bit these days. Lots of over-sensitive brash judgments in the post 9-11 world. I don;t feel any safer. I don't feel safer with chicken laws and I don;t feel safer with NSA wiretapping. From the top to the bottom, I feel less free, less secure and less American than ever before.

As far as my chickens I kept four until recently. I'm selling the flock off now and selling this property. We're moving to an area of town more conducive to farm life (within zoning, no HOA).

I did read my HOA policy and it was very vague about what pets it would allow, and those it would not. However, I did not do my due diligence in regards to Chandler's zoning laws. Being that Chandler was a traditionally ranch and farm community, I had no idea the chicken laws were enacted when the city was incorporated twenty years ago. Live and learn. Do you think I am researching and reading the zoning laws in the areas I'm looking now? You betcha. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again.

As far as the HOA, It says the owner must diligently clean up animal waste in common areas and yards to ensure there's no odor or pest nuisances. Which no one denies i comply with these basic animal care responsibilities. The CC&Rs go on to say disruptive, loud, barking etc., is to be referred to the authorities as a nuisance. Which makes sense. My dog was a nuisance (and will bark if she thinks I'm gone). But what irks me is the HOA board has the sole discretion of allowing one households pet marmoset, but denying another's angora bunny. Completely arbitrary rules.

At this point, with the recovery of property value here, I'm not interested enough in staying in a neighborhood with these very un-neighborly, neighbors anyway. My neighbors never wave when I'm walking to synagogue on Saturday, and some even yell expletives or what have you. It's just turned out to be less freedom and more conformity. I'm not looking to assimilate into gentile culture and HOA's are all about assimilation, conformity, uniformity, etc... America is about freedom. HOA's are about you are contractually relinquishing some of your property rights for a promise of maintained or improved "property values." This is because of a general real estate principle that prevails, as any appraiser will tell you, "conformity is value." Gag me.

Thanks for the lengthy reply to explain the situation more; I think you are definitely on the right track.

Let's put this into perspective: let's say I give you a dozen eggs and a nice welcome to the neighborhood. Are you then going to tolerate my dog howling outside 3 days a week because I was friendly and gave you $3 worth of eggs? More likely, the neighbor put up with it until it was too much to bear. And here we are. Not everyone is a "sucker" (as you put it) for animals, particularly when they are annoying or disturbing the peace to which people are entitled. They also paid for their homes and agreed to the same clauses. I think you are doing the right thing by rehoming Shelby as she sounds to be more responsibility than you're able to manage at this point. And also, a good idea to just sell that house and find a more suitable location for your goals; maybe even getting Shelby back?

In terms of animals being needy: that's really more of our own doing than anything. It stems from our own "need" to smother the animal with attention and "love" (for whatever reason) -- and the animal will "eat it up". We create a "monster" (so to speak) by projecting our own needs onto the animal and then feeling like the animal is too needy when we can't be there for it 24/7.

Regarding your cat, it's a great idea to keep it indoors. As you stated, people tend to overreact, but another thing is that "special" cats, such as yours, are a prime target for theft. A person who is terrified of it will also not have the gumption to check if it has been declawed or if it is even a pet. In fact, one guy shaved his labra-doodle dog to look like a lion, and it caused such an uproar (ha, pun intended!) that people were all over 911 phone lines about it and it made national news.
What I mean to say is that people are frittery about things they don't readily know/understand/comprehend.

Still, I don't think it's fair -- and, indeed, somewhat of a red herring -- to say that post-9/11 sentiments are behind the oversensitive, brash judgments people make. After all, people were making those same judgments since the dawn of time, way before anyone ever heard of 9/11. I certainly agree that we are less safe and less free than before the Patriot Act went into effect, but again, this is a red herring in relation to the topic at hand -- these losses of freedoms have nothing to do with our optionally living in an subdivision with an HOA and having to abide by the rules to which we have contractually obligated ourselves. The Patriot Act was forced upon us; living in a subdivision was not.

In terms of HOAs maintaining property values -- there's no question about that. In neighborhoods without an association, there is almost always a few really ramshackle, dilapidated homes... overgrown yards, animals amok, cars on blocks, etc. and all that directly effects not only the resale dollar value, but it hinders the actual ability to sell it at all. HOAs do indeed serve to prevent this.

All in all, I'm exceptionally glad to hear that you view the situation as a "lesson learned" and are doing more due diligence with the next property. I found myself in a similar position. It took me almost a year to find the new property, but I'm here now. You have every right to be irked with the HOA -- HOAs are indeed political, chummy, crony operations just looking for ways to enrich their coffers. In fact, I had a problem with the neighbors dog crapping in my yard. I put up with it for 2 years, just cleaning it up. But eventually, I went to the neighbors to talk about it and they said put up a fence around my yard (which is against the HOA regs, I'll add) so I eventually went to the HOA about it. I figured a "dog at large" and "crapping in people's yards" would be a shoe-in to get something done. They told me to leave some "presents" in my yard rather than clean them up so they could drop by a day later and view the problem. And they did come take a look. And then they sent me a fine for having dog crap in my yard! Even though I don't even have a dog...and even though they told me to leave it there! Needless to say, I refused the fine and threatened to take it public. It didn't take long to get that dog handled after that. But boy, am I still glad to be out of the city limits and living in an Exclusive Farm Use (EFU) zone where, if a rogue dog shows up on my property, I have given legal rights to take care of the problem myself.

I appreciate you sharing your story. You have a disciplined, self-governance I can respect. The 9-11 thing was an off topic tirade. Sorry. People are people; some more cautious/alarmist by nature, or condition, than others.

I chalk the house/neighborhood up to a mismatch. I don't deny my responsibility in this situation and appreciate you calling out my initially childish and somewhat selfish position on the matter. I really didn't offer much back story and frankly appeared careless in the matter. The fact that it's taken me a year to move out of this house was really market logistics. I would have done this earlier had the values been there. I'm debating whether I want to sell it outright or sell it to my company, as a holding (so the HOA sees a title transfer,) and then rent it out with a yard crew attached to the property. I'm sure they nickle and dime rental properties considering the landlord isn't there 24/7 to monitor compliance. But that's for a whole other forum... . ;) Cheers!

Indianapolis allows 8 per address, no roosters...we are still fighting it out in Muncie,IN...I want healthy eggs and chickens that haven't been abused for their egg production capabilities.

I live in a little town in Wewahitchka, Florida. I had a friend that loved my chickens, and decided to get her a couple, even though she lived in town. She had the neatest little "cottage" built for them, and only kept 4 hens. No rooster ! The other people on the block didn't even know they were there....hee hee.... She sat out in the mornings, and had coffee with them, as they scratched away, right at her feet. Happy campers they all were.

I did not realize what I was getting into when I bought a house with an HOA, even though I signed the papers. You sign all kinds of papers before you know what's really going on, like a surgical procedure, you don't really know what's going to happen until it happens. And at that time I bought this house I was as oblivious to permaculture, waste and recycling as the next person. At that time chickens were not a concern. I have learned a lot since then, and now I want chickens, but I have put so much effort into my yard that I don't want to leave it. But, I would have never bought this house had I really known about HOA's. I'll bet there are a lot of people who find themselves in an HOA without really knowing what they were getting into. It is like signing up to be a Stepford wife.

Hon, that's what HOA's are for, to keep us chicken raisin' riffraff out, sorry you weren't aware of that......you may be able to work towards change.

Baaaaaa, Baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa Sheep.  Sheep shouldn't be raising chickens anyway.  What are we teaching our children?  To be suservient and never question authority....To allow someone else to control what you eat, where you shop, what YOU THINK....Teach your children about the laws of nature, not the self-serving laws of a few politicians.  Teach them to think for themselves and to stand up for what is right. There was a time when America wanted everyone to raise a few backyard chickens, start a garden, eat right, exercise.  Now it's Illegal to harvest Rainwater some places,  others are trying to tax the sun (solar power panel)Tax, and the people running the show from the local yokels to the freakin White House don't give a crap about you or your way of life.  Lip-service is all they provide. Do what you feel is right, keep a low profile and ALWAYS PRACTICE THE GOLDEN RULE, ....Period.
Bravo!!

Yep....good point.  That whole pursuit of happiness can cover a mighty long list of things that not everyone enjoys having living next to them. 
it doesn't matter what's next door if it, and it's smells and noises, stay next door. And we all know a few hens aren't that loud and don't smell at all if cared for properly.

I encountered this sort of thing when my neighbor was accepting waste from the sewer plant for the purpose of getting free lime to spread on his fields. Completely utterly disgusting. But perfectly legal (our government at work for ya). He was free to do it until he did so improperly, creating a horrid smell that affected OUR enjoyment of OUR OWN property. It was at that point things changed. I didn't have to go any further than contacting the county commission. If he had been storing it elsewhere, where we couldn't smell it, and spreading it like he was supposed to I wouldn't have had anything to say. This, of course, was after talking to him and the psd about it several times.
I just wish people would be responsible and let each other live in peace. But it is true every rule is in place because some yahoo before messed it up for everyone.

Btw, we don't buy or recommend his beef to anyone...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom