Chickens not eating feed

Hi there and welcome to the flock :jumpy

I’m understanding your question to be why aren’t your birds eating the official food. So, 6000sf could be a smorgasbord or a food desert, and if it’s the former, your birds could be getting a lot of what they need from natural sources, which they prefer.

They could easily exhaust the natural buffet in short order and at that point you may see an increase in their interest in the processed food. And while your treats are obviously quality stuff, you might want to cut back for now. The oyster shell isn’t a treat, though, it’s a calcium supplement that’s necessary if your flock feed isn’t labeled as ”layer”. And you don’t need to go out and buy layer rations if you offer that oyster shell free choice on the side.

In any case, your birds should be going to roost at night with full crops. If you haven’t been checking, do this after they’re up on the roost so they’ll let you handle them without getting too bothered. It’s easier, I think, with the bird facing away from you. Feel the right side of their chest - the crop should be a full, roundish bulge that will protrude from the chest wall.

AND (sorry for long post) there‘s a ton of information on BYC pertaining to feeding your flock, in both the forum and articles. Go through some of that when you have a few hours to kill... fair warning - it’s addicting!
Thank you for the good information

Welcome to BYC!
Stop feeding all treats now. Put the oyster shell out in a free choice feed container and put the flock on a complete diet that offers 18-20% protein. Something like Flock Raiser, All Flock or a good chick starter. Make sure the feeders are clean and the feed kept dry.
Lots of fresh clean water at all times. Do not break down and give them treats. When they get hungry, they will eat the feed you gave them.
When they are eating regularly you can CONSIDER offering a SMALL treat each morning and no more.
Thank you for the good information.

I've done a combination of things and all is good in chicken vill. Have not been giving treats. I reduced there area to forage, they have picked a food they will eat, the Purina. Each day now they are eating more feed. I think in about a week I will let them have the full run. Thank all of you with all the good information.

Back
Top Bottom