Chickens not eating layer crumbles

crazychick26201

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2013
West Virginia
I have a flock of five chickens. Three are approaching five years old. My typical feeding schedule is to give them a couple cups of dry crumble (Layena) in their hanging feeder which they have free choice. During the molt I started feeding them moistened Feather Fixer, about a cup in a small bowl. They ate that for a couple months until the molt was finished. Then I continued giving them moistened crumble every morning. Sometimes they ate it, sometimes not. Then when this latest cold spell happened, the moistened feed froze so they didn’t eat that but they also didn’t eat their dry crumbles. This worries me because I read that they should eat more when cold but mine are not. They are not laying and not active because they have been confined due to the weather. I throw them sunflower seeds , about 1/4 cup in the morning and they eat those. They don’t like oatmeal. Any thoughts on how I can get them to eat??

I ran out of my 22% and i have one going through a weird molt right now but they all arent eating the laying pellets and only one is laying regular i found helpful information fishfood yes just ordinary fish food flakes is really good protein for them so sprinkle it over some scraps

I have a flock of five chickens. Three are approaching five years old. My typical feeding schedule is to give them a couple cups of dry crumble (Layena) in their hanging feeder which they have free choice. During the molt I started feeding them moistened Feather Fixer, about a cup in a small bowl. They ate that for a couple months until the molt was finished. Then I continued giving them moistened crumble every morning. Sometimes they ate it, sometimes not. Then when this latest cold spell happened, the moistened feed froze so they didn’t eat that but they also didn’t eat their dry crumbles. This worries me because I read that they should eat more when cold but mine are not. They are not laying and not active because they have been confined due to the weather. I throw them sunflower seeds , about 1/4 cup in the morning and they eat those. They don’t like oatmeal. Any thoughts on how I can get them to eat??
Non laying birds don't need all that calcium. It can (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues including gout and ultimately failure if fed long term to non laying birds. I would put them on a grower or all flock feed and leave oyster shell available for those who do lay. Feather fixer simply has more protein than layer, and maybe some amino acids added in. Because feathers are made from 90% protein and the amino acids it contains. FF USED to contain sulfur and claim to work against mites. That has since changed though.

Cut out the sunflower seeds. They will eat to meet their energy need. Yes being colder uses more energy to stay warm. But not producing eggs or being active takes less energy. So chickens eating more during cold weather would be more compared to what? Not all circumstance are equal.

If they are shut in for weather, maybe give them the option to make their own choice if they wish to go out or not.
fishfood yes just ordinary fish food flakes is really good protein for them
Fish food is formulated for fish. What is "really good" protein for them? What is the %? IF the protein is vegetable based that doesn't supply the animal based amino acids that are needed. I don't mean to be ugly but please supply your source of helpful information regarding feeding fish feed to chickens? That way I can see it and their information before just calling hogwash. On top of that... I used to raise fish and there is NOTHING cheap about spending a few dollars for an ounce of flakes when I can buy at least 6 pounds of of 30% protein turkey starter that is at least formulated for fowl and not likely going to give my eggs some funky flavor. :confused: (note 30% is too much for chickens, but can be mixed to bring it down.)

Other sources of protein , though I don't think that is the OP's issue are simply chicken, tuna, mackerel, beef, turkey, meal worms, peas and so on. Scrambled eggs have only about 12% protein but they are a good source of selenium and other vitamins, minerals, and micro nutrients.

Other than the info I provided... I will say that I agree with Gary. The birds will eat if they get hungry. And they really hate change since they are creatures of habit.

I personally feed any treats late afternoon. 4 in the winter because it get dark early. Probably 5 in summer. But I like to do that after all the ladies have finished laying so no one gets left out. Also gives them a chance to eat their regular feed first. YES as an adult I can eat dessert before meals, but I don't let my kids/animals do that. Just sharing my way, not saying do it. My timing is also about an hour before dark. It's just a small snack so they still continue their evening forage and fill up on regular feed before heading off to roost.

Another great thing during bad weather is sprouting. Lentils, barley, wheat, peas, even sunflower seeds or BOSS. It's as simple as a 12 hour soak of some seeds, followed by rinsing at least twice a day. I use a jar with holes poked in the lid on my counter and just rinse when I'm already there washing my hands. Depending on your temperature and which stage YOU wish feed, it's ready in as little as 4 -8 days! And they love it plus it's nutritious. Even corn can be sprouted, though still low nutrient content. Some things sprout easier than others. Barley (not pearled) appears to be the easiest with the least possibility of mold and such. Nutritional info on sprouted items is available.

Can provide links to my resources upon request.

Trust me... getting a chicken to eat (that isn't ill) has NEVER been a problem. They will eat. It fluctuates sometimes though. Chickens are very food motivated. My guess is they are playing you... to get the good stuff. :p

Best wishes! :pop

Then when this latest cold spell happened, the moistened feed froze so they didn’t eat that but they also didn’t eat their dry crumbles. This worries me because I read that they should eat more when cold but mine are not. They are not laying and not active because they have been confined due to the weather. I throw them sunflower seeds , about 1/4 cup in the morning and they eat those. They don’t like oatmeal. Any thoughts on how I can get them to eat??

What is the mill date on your layer feed? If it is beyond 6 weeks, it may be rancid. That is reason enough for them to snub it. Aside from that, feather fixer is a higher protein feed. They are going to prefer the higher protein feed!

First, check your mill date. If that is ok, have you been offering it moist AND hot? BTW, fish food is 44% protein and has lots of animal protein. Expensive, yes. But, a sprinkling, if you have an old can sitting around just might entice them to the feed trough! I also use a bit of kitty or dog kibble during molt and during super cold snaps. As PP stated, sprouting is also a great way to give a bit of diet variety during the winter months. I would also be inclined to stop the sunflower seeds, unless sprouted. If your flock are eating their normal prepared rations, then, you can offer a few sunflower seeds, but only if!

I had a similar experience: a flock of birds that simply refused to eat a bag of feed. Mill date was fine. Same brand as I always bought. Looked fine, smelled fine. But, they were starving on it. Every time I went out to feed, they would attack the feeder... take a taste, and walk away. They were loosing weight and condition. I discussed it with the manager. She had me return the feed, and replaced it. Problem solved.

Im no eggspert with all your titles amd i cant find my original source of fish flakes but here: like o said im no expert. I alao heard cayenne pepper helps unsure of amounts and

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-14-14-24-01.png
    Screenshot_2018-01-14-14-24-01.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 5
You should not be feeding lay feed to non laying birds. It can severely harm them.
Honestly, you really need to adjust your management and diet practises for your birds.
They should have free choice oyster shell and free choice grit. Access to clean water 24/7.
They should be having an 18-22% all flock or maintenance feed. Too high of protein (over 30%- which yes, fish food is too high) can harm them.
Keep treats below 10% of all feed fed.

I ran out of my 22% and i have one going through a weird molt right now but they all arent eating the laying pellets and only one is laying regular i found helpful information fishfood yes just ordinary fish food flakes is really good protein for them so sprinkle it over some scraps
Fish food has too much protein. Please don't feed fish food to birds.

Back
Top Bottom