Chickens not eating their food and not laying eggs

moms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Does anyone know why my two black sexlink hens have stopped eating food and not laying? The heat is horrible hear in south Florida, and I also introduced three weeks ago two buff orpington hens. They are indeed the little ones on the block, but they are being tolerated alot better than when they were first introduced. All was honkey dorey accept the buffs won't roost, as the the sexlinks hog the roosting bar. But all of a sudden the selinks are not eating hardly at all, and stopped laying eggs today, I might also add that my hens that are 6 months old lay brown lg eggs. One of my hens though went back to laying small whitish or very very light eggs when they were laying. Could the heat have anything to do with this or whats going on please?

The heat probably has everything to do with the egg laying problems. Being black on top of it isn't helping either. What steps do you take to keep them cool and comfortable? What do they get for feed and treats? Good opportunity to clean out the freezer of odds and ends and cool the hens down at the same time. Orpingtons are going to have trouble with the heat as well. They are know for being cold hardy birds.

Back
Top Bottom