chickens not roosting

Hi there Kimberly4403

I agree with CTKen’s suggestion that putting them on the roost at night time for a few nights should teach them to roost and also the suggestions that if they are not roosting it could be related to the roost’s position.

Chickens tend to follow the leader. With your flock being small, if the first chicken decides to settle on the coop floor for the night, even if the other two want to roost, you may find that they follow the lead of the first hen and sleep on the floor.

I had a bantam Langshan who, while the other bantams would sleep on the roost, chose to sleep with two Silkies in a nest box. When I installed a low roost for the two Silkies and they started to use it, the bantam Langshan started to roost high with the other bantams.

Do you just have the one roost? It may be worth having two; one lower and in front of the higher one, giving them the option to chose either. My gals jump up to the lower roost and then onto the higher one and get down the same way.

Not saying this is the cause in your case, especially if they have never used the roost, but chickens can stop roosting if they are being nibbled on by mites overnight.

Last edited:
I've had two instances this year where a hen stopped roosting and started sleeping in the nest boxes. I thought that they had become broody, but it wasn't that - they both had bumble foot!
I fixed their feet, bandaged them up, and in a couple weeks after I removed the bandages they went back to roosting again :)

You seem flustered...Sorry....Raise the roost a foot higher...Some pullets get into sleeping on the floor, some roost...I really never worry about it? As long as they sleep and wake up happy and healthy? I do not care how they sleep...They will get the hang of it..Is the roost also a Chicken length away from the wall? That could be the problem?

Cheers!

Yeah im with u notreally carring just thought it was something naturally done.. Yeah its 1 foot away from wall..

No bumble foot and no mites.. My 2 youngest ive had since they were 1 week old they happily perch on the smaller size perch outside in run but have always slept on the floor.. My newest laying hen just sleeps on floor with them.. We originally had a poop board with roost higher up but i think it was too close to the wall for my big hen to comfortably roost so we removed it and just put in a 4x2 roost further out from the wall and lower down so she could get up easier.. They all sat on it the first day we put it in but have continuedto sleep on the floor

Mysmall flock consists of 2x 18 week old wyandotte pulleys and a 1st year laying sussex hen.. All 3 of them choose to sleep on the floor in the pine shavings rather then on the roost.. The roost is a 2x4 solid untreated pine sitting approx 1 foot high and 1 foot off the back wall of there coop.. Which gives them 3 feet of space to getup and down in there 4x4 coop.. So why dont they roost?

No bumble foot and no mites.. My 2 youngest ive had since they were 1 week old they happily perch on the smaller size perch outside in run but have always slept on the floor.. My newest laying hen just sleeps on floor with them.. We originally had a poop board with roost higher up but i think it was too close to the wall for my big hen to comfortably roost so we removed it and just put in a 4x2 roost further out from the wall and lower down so she could get up easier.. They all sat on it the first day we put it in but have continuedto sleep on the floor
Yeah you don't want to put it higher due to the small coop size, good call.
Try putting them on it repeatedly well after dark...if you really want them to use it...otherwise let them be.

I've found that some chicks will take right to the perch and will roost on their own as young as five weeks. This summer, I have had pullets that, even though I've been placing them on the roost every night, are only just now "getting it". They're almost six months old.

I even have a couple of much older hens who prefer to sleep on the floor in the shavings rather than roost. The drawback is they sleep in their poop, and they develop very crusty butts that then become pretty gross and smelly unless they're washed occasionally. This is why I try to encourage roosting.

I've found that some chicks will take right to the perch and will roost on their own as young as five weeks. This summer, I have had pullets that, even though I've been placing them on the roost every night, are only just now "getting it". They're almost six months old.

I even have a couple of much older hens who prefer to sleep on the floor in the shavings rather than roost. The drawback is they sleep in their poop, and they develop very crusty butts that then become pretty gross and smelly unless they're washed occasionally. This is why I try to encourage roosting.

So far my hens havent developed this but i will keep an eye on it

I have several birds that sleep right on the poop boards...hasn't been a problem, but poop does get sifted off every other day.

Just a tip...If you change to a sand coop floor...They will decide to Roost...Easy to clean too..A pail and a kitty litter scoop...Easy Peasy!!!

Cheers!

How deep is the sand in your coop? Is the floor raised or is it cement slab or dirt? I have a sand run, but my coops are raised decks with linoleum flooring. I never considered sand in my coops, but it's worth giving it some thought.

Back
Top Bottom