Chickens pecking each other: How do I stop them?

Pics

KaseySnow

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Golden, Colorado
I am watching my friend's hens for the next month. She has two Barred Rocs, a Buff Orpington, and three ISA Browns. It's the browns that are getting pecked the most, but I've observed all of them doing it. Even a Brown pecking another Brown. Two of the Browns seem to be on the receiving end of the worst of it, mostly from the Barred Rocs. They both have big bald patches on their backs.

I've tried using the hen saver aprons, but they wiggle out of them in a day or two. Should I try a kid's T-shirt?

I'm now looking at using Rooster Booster Pick-no-more or Nu-Stock to deter them from pecking each other. Will those things work? I mostly want something that will stop them from doing this, I know I can use all kinds of things to heal the wounds.

I know they are pecking each other because they are bored, but I can't be there all day to let them out into their run for hours on end. I've tried throwing things in there for them to pick at, but it doesn't seem to help.

I cannot isolate them inside as I do not have access to the home, only the coop. I cannot take them home with me because I live in a one bedroom 4th floor no pets apartment with no balcony or yard space.

The only thing I've found that I could maybe use to isolate them is a dog crate, but I would feel terrible locking two of them in there with little room to move around.

So yeah. Anything you guys could think of to keep the pecking from happening would be great.

Because there are hawks and foxes in the area. There was a fox a few days ago in the middle of the day staring at them through the fence while I was letting them out to eat grass in the run/yard. Maybe I have my terms mixed up, but the coop has a fenced in area for them to scratch around in the earth and get fresh air outside of the actual coop structure. When I say run I mean the grassy, un-fenced area of the yard. Sorry, I'm new at chickens.

The owners know about the pecking and have only suggested the hen saver apron, which does not stay on well.

It does sound like you are in a bad situation.
Photos of the coop/run may be helpful, we may be able to give you some tips.

Just for terminology sake, coop is the "chicken house":) and run is the fenced/enclosed outside part which is usually a secured area.

I do agree with you, if they don't have a secured area that is larger and there is a fox watching them, it would be best to not let them out since they are under your care.

Without seeing the housing/run, it's hard to know. Outside perches can help them get up and out of each other's space. If it's food aggression add another feeder.
Hang up a couple or 3 small bundles of kale/greens in different areas or you can use something like cabbage. Add some pine needles/leaves or straw for them to dig through. This all of course, would need to be approved by the chicken owner.

Are they eating the feathers when they peck them? If they r..there is usually no way to stop that once they start... Or are they just pecking the feathers out and leaving them on the ground?

Yeah, sorry, I was totally using the terms wrong.:confused: Whoops!

Here is the grazing/yard area just outside of the coop/run. The gate you see at the far left is where the fox was peeking in at them:
qsZZfHX.jpg

I can take some pictures of the run itself tomorrow if you like, but there's a big pine tree that shades it and so there are tons of pine needles at the back of the coop. I've also tried throwing cabbage in there and it was definitely gone the next day but they still are pecking. I will try cutting a head in half and throwing the pieces in there, maybe that will keep them busy longer?

I'll have to look around for feathers. I think I've seen some on the ground? I thought I read somewhere that if they are eating feathers it means they are protein deficient, but I dunno if that's what's going on.

I'll try and get photos of the ladies being pecked as well and post them tomorrow if I have time. Doing lots of prep for the holiday weekend so I may not, we'll see. :th

How big is the coop and run. And how many chickens again? Overcrowding will lea to pecking Other things can but that’s a big one

So that looks like a pretty big run. And they are all huddled together in the pic. Did you give them something good right there ? Usually when my one hen jumps and plays pecking order the others stay away. They don’t look particularly uptight in the pic.

Could be just the moment. Do you have pics of the damage?

Back
Top Bottom