Chickens; Quieter alone? And quiet chickens?

Nyowpotopop

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
N.E. Ohio
So I have been hardcore planning for muscovy ducks in the next year. And now I'm expanding my ideas to chickens. I'm asking the age-old question...

What is the quietest chicken?

I'm only looking for 1-2 hens for egg production only. And I live in a suburb. It's perfectly legal for me to own these chickens BUT it is NOT legal for me to violate noise ordinences which is why we were after the quieter muscovy ducks. (And noise is the main problem with people owning backyard chickens around our area.)

I have read good things about Orpingtons and Ameracaunas/EE for quieter breeds... But I'd like to hear any current oppinions.

Also, does keeping on chicken alone help keep them quieter? I don't think I need too many eggs.... I love eggs but 200/yr production is a lot for me and my beau to eat to be honest and we may be able to do it... We have some folks interested already in buying eggs though so if getting a second chicken would keep the pair more at ease (and therefore quieter) then all the better... They'll be able to see the ducks in the neighboring pen but not reach them due to a nice fence border I might add.

Also... How much space do two chickens need? I can make a very small coop for just two easy enough but daytime ground pen space? Would a 4'X10' pen be acceptable for two? Or do I need larger?

My ee's make a very different sound, almost like a hawk screech. Not loud but different. I would say of all my birds my buff brahma is the most laid back and quiet. She doesn't even put up much of a fuss when you handle her.

I can't answer that definitively, mine isn't laying yet. But everything I have read suggests they are right up there with any of the other standards, good layer of medium to large eggs.

Ok found a few references that said they lay every other day which by the sound of your first post might be a good thing for you if you think you won't need a lot?

Last edited:
Well, it would be alright but at the same time I have some people interested in buying the occasional bundle of eggs from me which is why two would be just fine. We could probably eat 200 eggs a year if we wanted... I am super fond of eggs and would be happy to eat them 2-3 times a week (4-6 eggs/wk) if we get that many plus the occasional baking. And if I have spare eggs to sell I think it'd be awesome... So I'd rather like a decent layer.

I would go with the EE's then, they are my next least cackle-y hens. That will only get you as far as all day long noise though, any breed is going to be loud and annoying when they're laying in the morning. Check out egg song videos on youtube. LOL

My brahmas are VERY noisy. They make this BRAWWW BRAWWWWWW BRAWWWWW noise all day long, even when running free free ranging. I have 2 of these beauties, but will not buy them in the future. They are very nice hens and extremely friendly. My oldest brahma is a great egg layer too. Not sure about the younger one, she has a ways to go before she lays.

My quiet ones in my flock are the 2 EE's, Faverolle and my Rhode Island Red. My huge noise makers are the 2 brahmas and speckled Sussex. My SS is sometimes louder then a rooster when she is up high on the roost or the nest boxes. She sounds like a loon! She is a great layer too, but I will not get another noisy breed.

We live in the urban country. 2-10 acre lots. We have a 4 acre lot, which we are fencing next year since I free range morning till night.

If we were not going to get the fence, I'd really would want to move on a farm or a 20+ acre lot with my house in the middle. The fence is my compromise with my hubby to stay here.lol

I'm a true farm girl!

I have black and mottled javas and they are very quiet, mellow birds. I would think a single chicken would be rather lonely and nervous. They are a flock creature by nature...
Javas tend to lay daily and have nice sized eggs.

My brahmas are VERY noisy. They make this BRAWWW BRAWWWWWW BRAWWWWW noise all day long, even when running free free ranging. I have 2 of these beauties, but will not buy them in the future. They are very nice hens and extremely friendly. My oldest brahma is a great egg layer too. Not sure about the younger one, she has a ways to go before she lays.
My quiet ones in my flock are the 2 EE's, Faverolle and my Rhode Island Red. My huge noise makers are the 2 brahmas and speckled Sussex. My SS is sometimes louder then a rooster when she is up high on the roost or the nest boxes. She sounds like a loon! She is a great layer too, but I will not get another noisy breed.
We live in the urban country. 2-10 acre lots. We have a 4 acre lot, which we are fencing next year since I free range morning till night.
If we were not going to get the fence, I'd really would want to move on a farm or a 20+ acre lot with my house in the middle. The fence is my compromise with my hubby to stay here.lol
I'm a true farm girl!

Ha that's funny.. I wonder if it's because I only have the one. She takes the kids grabbing her and carrying her around without putting up any fuss. I totally agree on the SS holy cow what a noisy bird! They are so shrill when they get going. I love them but I too don't know if I'll get another after these girls.

I'm much more inner city than you guys. I'll have some nice noise breakers going on... A 6ft wooden fence and a fairly significant amount of trees (plus regulations keep the coop 100 feet away from peoples houses). But I'm only going to be on 1/4 acre. I wish I had more space...!

And I know all about the eggs songs. I'm hoping that the occasional eggs given to neighbors will dissuade them from being cranky about egg songs... But all day noise I can't wiggle my way out of with the occasional dozen eggs. I think it'd bug me a lot too if they bagawked all day long, hence a desire for quiet chickens.

What about Orpingtons? I have heard good things about them... Are they fairly quiet? I've heard they are.

Back
Top Bottom