chickens quit laying

wakely11

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2015
The days and night are getting cooler here in Oklahoma. My hens all quit laying and are lethargic. They don't want to come out of their coop. Any ideas or is this normal for autumn?

More info please? Breed and age of chickens? Are they molting? The fact that they don't want to leave the coop is concerning. Have you checked them for parasites? I'm wondering about worms.

I have white leghorns, dutch wellies, and buff orpingtons. The buffs are about a year and a half old and the others are about 9 months old. The rooster is a red banty. All the hens have been pretty good layers until now. At first glance they don't appear to be molting and when they venture out of the coop they don't peck around in the grass like they usually do. I have not checked for parasites but will do that once I check on this website for the proper procedure. I should note that two of them went to a poultry show a couple of weeks ago at our county fair but all chickens were blood tested before being placed in exhibition cages. Thinking of going to the feed store and purchasing vitamins and worming meds.

But they were only tested for a few things I would imagine, they could have picked up something else.
I'd hesitate to worm without doing a fecal first.....but pay attention to withdrawals if you decide to go ahead.

The older ones, and maybe even the youngers, may be getting ready to molt.

Any chance they had a predator scare?
Are they free range or in a run?
Any changes in the run or yard?
Any changes in feed?
Are they eating drinking pooping normally?
Reasonably mobile and active?

Bug check:
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

No predator scares although hawks are busy this time of year circling overhead. They are in a run and only come out into our yard for an hour or two a day. I will check them out as you suggested. Some of the chickens are starting to come out a little more and I'm guessing that they might be about to molt as you said. If they don't get better in a day or two, we're going to take one of the hens to a vet just to check on the general health of all of them. I appreciate your response.

Sorry for writing this here. My bantam has been laying fairy eggs for about 3 weeks. She's a yr old. How can I help her?

Back
Top Bottom