chickens r dumb!

chelsiemom

Chirping
Sep 9, 2016
Yucaipa, CA
I have a run and on weekends when I'm home I open it and let everyone range. I used to prop the bottom edge on a box and let them scoot under, and always, one or two can't figure out how to get out and they get anxious and pace...I've switched over to a hinged lid on top and take the roof off on 1/2 the coop, so they have 2 ways to get in and out..It still takes a while for all of them to figure out how to get out...But I've noticed my RIR rooster lately had trouble getting out and never puts himself back in....I wait until after dark and they're all put away but him, once he nested himself in a box full of old litter after I left out near the coop after cleaning, and I lifted him out and into it. Last night, he nestled on top the coop alone, he could easily have stepped off into the open run and them into the coop, or walked over the peak of the coop and into the open roof...I'm wondering is it possible he can't fly well to put himself away. But last night he'd already lifted himself up on the coop, but didn't drop himself in..Is it possible he's keeping himself out to guard the girls? He is only about 20 wks old, but for months he's been going inside with them. Now why the sudden change?

Chickens are smarter than people give them credit for but they are also creatures of habit and too many changes causes them stress and to act panicky.

There may be something about your set up that has changed in a way that doesn't make it as simple for them as you may think, or perhaps there's a predator lurking in the area that they're keenly aware of but you aren't. Your cockerel may be getting picked on in the coop and has chosen to avoid it by not going back in. There are many possible explanations to the behavior of your flock but yes, photos of your set up will be a great start to figuring out what could be going on.

thank you...guess I have to be smarter than the chickens...:)
hu.gif

You learn a lot about your chickens' needs by just observing their behavior. Your cockerel's behavior is speaking volumes. Islandgirl has several good points. You need to consider them.

Several years back, I remodeled my run and it had a nice full length people door on one side, and that was the only entrance. I figured it would be enough and the chickens would learn to use it if I propped it open while they were free ranging. They did. However, one day I was out there while the flock was roaming free, mainly on the side opposite the door. A hawk swooped down and the flock scattered in blind panic.

Many of the chickens were in such a frenzy to get back inside the run to safety that they were flinging themselves against the side of the run, risking smashing their brains. When chickens panic they try to get from Point A to Point B even though there's a solid wall there.

It dawned on me that a pop hole would be a very good thing on that side since that side is where they spend most of their time when they range.

It wasn't hard to build. I just created the hole, put in some 2x4s as a frame on which to hang the door. I mounted it in such a way, hinged at the bottom so it created a ramp for the chickens to go up when the door is opened.

Now, when a hawk appears overhead, the flock makes a straight beeline for the run through that small door. I'll probably never know how many lives it's already saved, but I'm sure it will prevent extreme heartache in the years to come.

Back
Top Bottom