chickens sleeping on fence...

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
The two new barred rocks that my husband got me from a friend have just decided that they dont want to sleep in the coop they want to sleep outside on the fence...is this something I should discourage I don't know if they are just not happy or what the deal is? Any suggestions?

I would discourage it....If they do that at night, and it is not totally enclosed fencing (IE. All sides and top are covered with wire of some sort) then the chicks are not well protected from predators.
How many chickens you have in the coop and what size coop (do you have a picture)?
You may just need to put several perching poles in the coop or pen at different heights.

best wishes,
laura
wink.png

Could be lots of reasons. Are your other girls chasing them out? Is it to warm in the coop? How old are they? Maybe thats what they did where they came from. Personally I would close them in at night so they know where they are supposed to be. Leaving them out at night unprotected is inherently a disaster in the making.

Im gonna try the roosts at different heights the other girls I have seem to be fine with the new comers my roo though hes bossy hes gonna have to disappear sooner then I thought but Ill have my husband put up a few more roosts and go get them and put them in the coop at night.

Ill try that to we put a top on the run today as well and adding more roosts in the morning (fencing took longer then expected...) then Ill keep them in like naughty kids and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom