Chickens sneezing

Danielle farmgirl

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2021
3 chickens for the winter . One ameracauna other no idea what she is and a silkie. Ducky was sneezing. I have given the three a treatment of antibiotics giving vitamin d and provided them with nutridrench. Only Ducky had symptoms. The silkie passed away on Monday . No apparent illnesses. Ducky is still sneezing. Any idea what I should be doing now ? I have increased protein for my whole flock . They have a constant supply of feed , grains , apples and even cooked eggs and cat food.

Attachments

• 8A7DD240-E2E2-4957-9B5E-08B397507DCB.jpeg
    8A7DD240-E2E2-4957-9B5E-08B397507DCB.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 18
3 chickens for the winter . One ameracauna other no idea what she is and a silkie. Ducky was sneezing. I have given the three a treatment of antibiotics giving vitamin d and provided them with nutridrench. Only Ducky had symptoms. The silkie passed away on Monday . No apparent illnesses. Ducky is still sneezing. Any idea what I should be doing now ? I have increased protein for my whole flock . They have a constant supply of feed , grains , apples and even cooked eggs and cat food.
What antibiotic are you giving?

Any lesions inside the beak?
Looks like her face has some swelling, any bad odors?

They had tetracycline. How would I see lesions ? Haven’t noticed any bad odours but I’ll definitely relook tomorrow. What are you thinking ??

Good morning didn’t notice any odours but I did feel swelling in her throat
You will want to open her beak and see if there's any pus, lesions, yellow/white pasty material inside. The link below is about giving meds, but the photos are very good to see what the inside of a healthy beak should look like, also a good photo showing how to open the beak too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I'm not necessarily thinking of a specific thing, more like asking questions to hopefully rule out a few things.
Having a bad odor with swelling can be Canker or Infectious Coryza.

Asking about what antibiotic because some work better than others for certain conditions. Tetracycline is usually pretty good for respiratory illness like Mycoplasma.

You notice swelling in her throat, is this from feeling of outside or having a look inside the beak?

You will want to open her beak and see if there's any pus, lesions, yellow/white pasty material inside. The link below is about giving meds, but the photos are very good to see what the inside of a healthy beak should look like, also a good photo showing how to open the beak too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I'm not necessarily thinking of a specific thing, more like asking questions to hopefully rule out a few things.
Having a bad odor with swelling can be Canker or Infectious Coryza.

Asking about what antibiotic because some work better than others for certain conditions. Tetracycline is usually pretty good for respiratory illness like Mycoplasma.

You notice swelling in her throat, is this from feeling of outside or having a look inside the beak?
So I managed to look in her mouth can’t see very well the throat . Going to need magnifying glasses lol . It’s by feeling the outside of the throat. Wasn’t even sure if it was normal I checked my other ladies and they didn’t have this . This bird is a boarder . Such a chatty thing

Back
Top Bottom