Chickens still run when tried to be caught

countrymomma008

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
kansas city.ks
Ok so ive raised my chickens from when they where little,we handled them every day,still do.but we have to play the chase game everytime!can anyone give us advice on how to prevent this or is it just normal for them to do this?

Last edited:
Everyone who keeps chickens will need to handle their birds from time to time for any number of reasons. Sometimes you need to handle a bird urgently if you see a serious injury. Other times you may need to do health inspections and it's less urgent, but it's a real losing battle trying to chase them down whatever the reason.

As Centrachid says, it's very easy to train chickens to come to you using food. However, you can refine this process to be able to handle chickens even if you have no time to run and get food.

While offering your chickens food, try using a verbal cue each time, as well as a visual cue. I will fold a bit of food into my fist and point to it with a finger on the opposite hand. Later, after the chickens learn to come when they see my fist folded up and a finger from the other hand pointing at it in a pecking motion, they will come right up close even when I have had no time to get food.

Some folks rattle a feed jar and the chickens all come running, but my method requires no food and no props other than those at the ends of my arms.

If you can, coop the older hens so they can't run off the young ones. Then sit on a chair or overturned bucket, or on the ground. And toss one or two pellets, or whatever you are feeding, down by your feet. Let them come to you. Rattle your bucket of feed a bit and call to them. As they get used to eating near to yoy, hold some feed down in your hand. This takes time, but eventually they will take food from your hand. Get them comfortable with that. Do not raise either of your hands above them when you decide to lift them a bit. The easiest way to lift them is if they are sitting on your leg pecking at food. You start by gently stroking under the chin and down the inderside of the neck a bit. If they get nervous, just stop and continue feeding them. Whey you and they are ready, you will gently slide a hand under and between the legs. Then remove your hand. Then, if all is well, slide your hand under and gently lift a bit. Not much. Then back down. And so on. Little steps. Eventually you will be sliding your hand under lifting and gently taking the bird by the legs;holding the legs together. Bring your yo her hand up (not over) to the wing butt, and lay it there, gently holding in case of a struggle. Don't drop the legs, and try to keep the other hand on the wing. Hopefully, if you have brought them along slowly and gently, they won't struggle. If they do, you will have all the control when you hold them like this, and never muss a feather. Like they said, this is a prey animal, so don't come at them like a hawk. Also, when you are holding them like this you can work on them. Delouse, pop em a worm pill, whathaveyou. I am sure that if you looked a bit, perhaps Google for the proper way to hold a chicken or any large bird, you will see this method used. You can do this with your older chickens, too. I have seen some very wild and even mean chickens, who, when caught and held like this, settle right down and start chuckling and talking to you. They just need to know you don't want to eat them. I hope this helps.

First of all, you need to stop chasing them. They will never come to you if you continue. Chickens are a prey animal. Everything likes chicken, so their instincts tell them to RUN whenever something frightens them. Chasing causes them to be frightened. My chickens are not pets, they are livestock, so this is about as far as I can go with advice from here. I have read that if you sit quietly among them and let them get used to your presence, then start offering them treats they may come up to you. Yours may take a bit longer to do that as they are afraid of you right now. Chickens aren't a naturally cuddly animal like a cat or dog.

Why do you have to chase them? Are they free range and you're trying to get them in at night? If so, maybe a automatic pop door would help and they could go in on their own.

I can sit in the run with them and they will come up to me its my girls that chase them.I kno they aren't like a cat or a dog and they do enjoy the attention when they do come to us.our chickens r gonne be show chickens for 4h. They r in a enclosed run and they go in their coop at night.

If theyre intended for show, you might consider caging them now and handling them everyday to prepare them. Its much better for everyone involved in the show process if theyre used to being handled.
Good luck.

Well, then, it sounds like the girls need to be taught not to chase them. I have kids - they can learn - even at a very young age - how to behave around animals.

I think im just gonna work with them,they are slowly getting use to the handling thing since they have been outside.they just got put in their bigger run over the weekend so I believe its their new found freedom they are enjoying...lol

Last edited:
I think im just gonna work with them,they are slowly getting use to the handling thing since they have been outside.they just got put in their bigger run over the weekend so I believe its their new found freedom they are enjoying...lol

I straddle the fence on whether a given bird is pet or livestock. I have some in both capacities. Either way chasing is a no-no, even when kids are doing it. Start training kids ASAP to ieave birds alone. Then start working on getting birds to come to you for food. You will be surprised that with very little effort you will be able to get birds to do a lot like going to coop for you simply by conditioning them to go in expectation of quality eats. They can be trained using other stimuli although with less flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom