Chickens stopped laying possibly Feed associated?

I've had molting birds too. And I've heard all about the video etc, so I don't need it. I was just sharing my experience. Was crazy to see the drastic decrease in eggs once they lost daylight.
Quick question... any suggestions on what to do with all these feathers? Some are really pretty, but im not that crafty. I dont think theyre good for pillows 🤷🏽‍♀️
certainly someone has an ingenious use idea

Quick question... any suggestions on what to do with all these feathers? Some are really pretty, but im not that crafty. I dont think theyre good for pillows 🤷🏽‍♀️
Posting so I get notified if anyone else posts ideas.

I gathered them but am not sure what I will do with them. I don't have enough chickens to get enough feathers for a pillow with only one year's worth. I'm thinking of mittens or a hat or a cave for a wool hen type chick brooder.

This post is also talking about using feathers.

There's a lot of things that seem to be going on a the moment: Constant outbreaks of bird flu, and over zealous lockdowns and culling in response to that, poultry farm fires, many accounts of non laying birds. It's all very strange.

My own three have not laid since November. I need to switch pellets to see if that makes any difference. They do normally slow down a lot in winter but have never dried up completely before.

I found this in a book published in 1873.

Lewis Wright, The Illustrated book of poultry, London 1873. Online freely here
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012288930

Sigh. I was going to quote it but I lost access when I left the site to come here.

Basically, if I remember correctly, it said to strip the quills of larger feathers and leave quills in the smaller feathers.

Gather them into paper bags and allow to dry for a few days. Then bake them in a low oven four times. Each time for a half hour, with a few days between each time.

And that the authors think most mattresses in England were made of chicken feathers.

I'll correct if I regain access and find I remembered incorrectly.

I found this in a book published in 1873.

Lewis Wright, The Illustrated book of poultry, London 1873. Online freely here
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012288930

Sigh. I was going to quote it but I lost access when I left the site to come here.

Basically, if I remember correctly, it said to strip the quills of larger feathers and leave quills in the smaller feathers.

Gather them into paper bags and allow to dry for a few days. Then bake them in a low oven four times. Each time for a half hour, with a few days between each time.

And that the authors think most mattresses in England were made of chicken feathers.

I'll correct if I regain access and find I remembered incorrectly.
I'd have to wash them first, personally. Can you imagine the smell? I'm sure folks thought nothing of it at the time. Waste not, want not, and a great use for feathers. My goose down comforter is my favorite, I'd imagine chicken feathers were nice and warm also.

Back
Top Bottom