Summer pullets- some laying, others quit entirely and a question about fluctuating weights

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Summary of my questions: Why are some of my spring & summer pullets still laying very consistently and others quit laying cold turkey? And what is normal weight fluctuation for laying hens?

I know egg production slows with the shorter days. But I expected my pullets (especially the summer ones) would lay through the winter. And these girls haven't slowed, but have stopped laying completely. I have a mixed flock, so perhaps some of these could be breed specific and I'm comparing apples to oranges?

Background: There are no signs of illness/sickness (no mites/crop issues). Flock was wormed back in June. No visibly wormy/runny stools. I'm in my 5th year as a chicken tender and have apprixmately 30 birds split into 2 flocks. There doesn't seem to be any issues with bullying/stress amongst the flocks. They've always been on Flock Raiser w/ oyster shell, egg shell, & grit. There have been no changes in their feed or diet. Mature hens are laying as expected for their age/time of year, minus those who are molting.

Here are the pullets:
Still laying:
Rhode Island Red- laying daily since 20 weeks of age. Still going strong. Hatched in March.
Lavender Wyandotte- laying has slowed (as expected) but still laying 3-4 eggs/week. Hatched in March.
Noir Marans- laying pretty regularly, slowing some as expected. Hatched early May.
Chocolate Oprington- laying very regularly. Hatched early May.
Wynadotte Mix (hatched late May)- laying regularly, several eggs/week. Hatched end of May.

Not laying:
Black Australorp- laid 22 eggs in 35 days. Hasn't laid a single egg since mid October. Hatched in March.
Sussex x Oprington mix- laid pretty much daily since 19 weeks of age, then quit cold turkey. No egg since mid October. Hatched in March. (I noticed she seems to be growing some new feathers in around her neck- maybe she's having a light molt ??)

The anomaly:
Easter Egger- Laid for 2 weeks in September, then quit. No egg in October or November. Laid yesterday (12/2). Hatched early May. Pretty sure I have a colored-egg-layer curse, so perhaps this pullet is just a part of that curse.

I was collecting weights on a few of the girls, and decided to grab weights on the nonlaying pullets. Most of them seem to have dropped slightly (1/4 lb. average) since last weighed in October. It's a small loss, but most of these girls should still be growing, so I'm a little surprised by this. The RIR & EE went up about 1/2 lb. pound since October. This got me wondering: does anyone know how laying habits and/or the seasons impact a hen's weight? I didn't weigh all of the pullets, though, so I don't have a very good comparions. What's a normal weight fluctation for a fully grown hen throughout the year? (Not counting when she's molting). How much does weight typically fluctuate between off the roost in the AM and after they've been eating during the day? I usually weigh first thing in the morning but occasionally they get out of the coop before I can get to them. I do keep track if they're weighed off the roost or after they've been up and eaten.

Photos of a few of my young girls.
Foster the slacker australorp
IMG_3602.jpg

Derby the EE
IMG_3583.jpg

Molé the fluffy chocolate orp who is laying beautifully.
IMG_3603.jpg

Watching.

My pullets that are 9-10 months old have stopped or not started laying. No changes in feed, flock dynamics. One of the Dominiques that was hatched early April has not started laying, yet is molting (head, neck, a few tail feathers).
:caf

There are differences in laying between breeds, and also individuals within breeds so I don't think you need to be overly concerned there. The weight loss (good for you for catching that), is something to keep an eye on. If they are otherwise bright and active, watch them to see if they are eating ok, and not being bullied away from the food. Check their crops at night to be sure they are full. Colder weather requires more calories to keep the body warm. Keep weighing them and keep track. It may be nothing, or not. Your girls are beautiful.

Watching.

My pullets that are 9-10 months old have stopped or not started laying. No changes in feed, flock dynamics. One of the Dominiques that was hatched early April has not started laying, yet is molting (head, neck, a few tail feathers).
:caf
My Buckeye just laid her first egg today! She’s the last of my summer pullets (late May baby) to lay. I have a few Fall pullets but I don’t expect eggs from them until January at the earliest.

I’m curious if the Buckeye will lay through winter or lay for a few weeks and abruptly quit as some of the others have done. With the exception of molting or health issues, I’ve never had hens just up and quit laying like this.

There are differences in laying between breeds, and also individuals within breeds so I don't think you need to be overly concerned there.
I hope this is the case. Just so weird in 5 years to never have pullets or hens just quit laying so completely.

The weight loss (good for you for catching that), is something to keep an eye on. If they are otherwise bright and active, watch them to see if they are eating ok, and not being bullied away from the food. Check their crops at night to be sure they are full. Colder weather requires more calories to keep the body warm.
i last checked their crops first week of November and they were all empty. But I’m definitely going to check again now that I’ve noticed some loss. I was thinking about the extra calories in the winter, and it makes me think if there’s any weight fluctuation that they might weigh more in the winter than the summer.

t. Your girls are beautiful.
thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom