2 yo Hens Stopped Laying in May, Still No Eggs

twobuckchuckfarm

Chirping
May 26, 2022
Right now I have 13 hens. 7 that hatched in spring of 2022, and 6 that hatched in spring of 2023. 4 of my original 7 hatchlings from 2023 stopped laying this past May after introducing the 6 new pullets and a 1yo Bantam Rooster (who is very nice to our girls) around the beginning of May. They have not laid a single egg ever since. Before hand, each of these chickens were laying very regularly (at least every other day). They are confined to a run and coop with nexting boxes. Both Fibro Easter Eggers lay eggs that do not match the rest of the flock in color. Additionally, they are never productive when occupying the nesting box. This particular scenario can't be accredited to molting, feed or light changes, as none of those were a factor when they stopped laying.

The breeds are Barnevelder, Fibro Easter Egger and Silver Penciled Plymoth Rock. All were purchased as day old chicks from Meyers Hatchery around May of 2022.

Seeking help before giving up hope for these hens.

Last edited:
Do you free range? If yes, have you tried confining the flock to the run at any point?
That is a great question! Ive updated my original post to include that these girls are confined to a run and coop with nesting boxes. Despit having basically no where to hide them, i have looked in every corner/crevice feasible and still no eggs.

Could the stress of the new pullets or rooster cause a 7 month strike? Are there deseases that the rooster or pullets could have introduced that would cause hens to stop laying for months on end?

Could the stress of the new pullets or rooster cause a 7 month strike? Are there deseases that the rooster or pullets could have introduced that would cause hens to stop laying for months on end?
New additions are stressful, yes, especially if the rooster is rather randy. I wouldn't anticipate a 7 month strike from that unless he was being really rough with the girls though.

As far as diseases, can't think of any communicable diseases off the top of my head that would leave birds otherwise looking healthy but stop laying. That said, did you quarantine the new birds before adding them? How much did you trust the source of the birds (i.e. getting them from a friend who you knew to have a well maintained set up vs random birds from an auction)?

Cyrus, our bantam rooster has always been gentle with the girls. He has never been overly aggressive with them or shown signs of sickness. The pullets were raised by us since hatching and never showd signs of sickness. Neither were quanrentined before introduction (unless you include the 12 weeks in the brooder for the pullets). I do trust our source that we adopted him from, as best as I could trust anyone. They are experienced in tending and treating chicken flocks, as well as an honest caring person. We discussed at length preexisting health issues with Cyrus as well as the rest of her flock, which there were none. Thats about all you can ask in adoption situations.

I had no idea that the stress of introducing pullets or a rooster could cause a 7 month strike! Thats an incredible amount of sensitivity?!

If they still arent laying by the spring, should I assume they wont lay again?

I had no idea that the stress of introducing pullets or a rooster could cause a 7 month strike! Thats an incredible amount of sensitivity?!
Unlikely, but right now I can't think of another reason, other than a predator stealing eggs (but 7 months straight of stealing w/o evidence is unlikely too).
If they still arent laying by the spring, should I assume they wont lay again?
My guess is they will lay in spring, at least most of them will. Very rarely you have hens that stop completely while still "young" (I had one quit at 3) but it's unusual.

Unlikely, but right now I can't think of another reason, other than a predator stealing eggs (but 7 months straight of stealing w/o evidence is unlikely too).

My guess is they will lay in spring, at least most of them will. Very rarely you have hens that stop completely while still "young" (I had one quit at 3) but it's unusual.
We've had zero preditor issues in the nearly three years we've had chickens (kock on wood). We are incredibly active around the yard and with our chickens, so I assume we would have found some evidence at some point if that were the case (like you mentioned).

If anyone else has had their younger chickens (less than 3 years of age) stop laying eggs for 5 months or longer, I'd LOVE to hear from you about your experience!

- What was the initial stress that caused them to stop?
- How long before they started laying again consistently?

Thanks very much for your insight! Ill be sure to report back this spring with an update.

Last edited:
Check their butts/cloaca:
Bones narrowly together = not laying
Bones apart at least 1-2 fingers wide = laying and possibly eating their own eggs.
Thanks for the insight! Ill be sure to check. I've never done this before. How far will I need to insert my finger(s) into their vent?

Back
Top Bottom