Chickens with raw vents. Is there anything I can do?

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
My chickens have mites so this morning I applied ivermectin pour on. While doing this, I was able to inspect my birds. I noticed that a few of them have raw vents, especially my cochin rooster. His vent was very bloody and had hard yellow areas around it. He must be in a ton of pain and I can't imagine him having to relieve himself with a vent like this. I can take pictures, but it's fairly gruesome.

They have bloody scabs on their bodies from the mites. Did the mites also cause their vents to become raw? Is there anything I should be doing to help his vent heal? Maybe some antibiotic ointment?

Any help would be much appreciated!
smile.png

My chickens have mites so this morning I applied ivermectin pour on. While doing this, I was able to inspect my birds. I noticed that a few of them have raw vents, especially my cochin rooster. His vent was very bloody and had hard yellow areas around it. He must be in a ton of pain and I can't imagine him having to relieve himself with a vent like this. I can take pictures, but it's fairly gruesome.

They have bloody scabs on their bodies from the mites. Did the mites also cause their vents to become raw? Is there anything I should be doing to help his vent heal? Maybe some antibiotic ointment?

Any help would be much appreciated!
smile.png
At least in my experience, mites do often cause bloody, scabby, areas around the vent and wherever else they are. Once the mites are dead, the area generally heals well on its own. I suppose you could put antibiotic on it (nothing that contains "cain/caine" ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) to help it heal, though.

Of course, something else besides the mites might be causing the rawness. Maybe an infection of some sort. I'd look up "vent gleet" and see if what your birds have is similar. Other than that, just keep an eye on the problem.

If there's a heavy infestation, mites can cause the skin around the vent to become red, inflamed, bloody, and crusty. A few of my birds have had a rather serious infestation before, and they have had some crustiness and blood.

As Bantamlover21 said, I don't think you need to do anything about it. It will heal on its own now that the mites are gone.

I don't think it's vent gleet, so it must be from the mites.

I might try some antibiotic ointment. It seems like a very touchy area since they must constantly relieve themselves.

You could but some neosporin on the bleeding areas to help it heal more quickly. I also use bag balm (udder cream) on my birds when they get patches of skin that are far too dry and irritated. You can find it at the feed store around the cattle and horse supplies.

You can also spray blue kote on the area. It will prevent others from pecking on the redness also.

I don't think anyone is picking on them, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks!

You could but some neosporin on the bleeding areas to help it heal more quickly. I also use bag balm (udder cream) on my birds when they get patches of skin that are far too dry and irritated. You can find it at the feed store around the cattle and horse supplies.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom