Chickens with white kidneys?

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I just processed a couple extra roosters tonight and both of them had white kidneys. They were rather swollen as well. Why? Is it hyperuricemia or gout? if so what caused it? The other organs looks healthy and normal so far as I could tell.

Also They free range and I feed them layer pellets from TSC. They are about 22 or so, weeks old. 24 maybe. I didn't start layer pellets until they were about 19 weeks. They have been eating a lot of wile red berries from those tartain bushes. or whatever those bushes are called. I'd have to look it up again.

I inspected one of the kidneys but found nothing wrong with the inside of it- as far as stones or anything of that nature. They definitely are not on antibiotics. For perhaps two or three days three months ago they had access to water that was treated with antibiotics for some goats.

poos have always been consistently normal. Their behavior is quite happy and healthy.

Tartarian honeysuckle is the name of the bush producing those berries. They are everywhere around here and they have access to them constantly. Not sure if that could be the cause...

Last edited:
I am curious as well.
idunno.gif

In gout or in kidney failure there are urate (white deposits) over many of the internal organs including the kidneys during necropsy. I wouldn't think the layer pellets caused that in 3 weeks time. I do know that infectious bronchitis can cause kidney damage. This is a pretty interesting finding. I may need to go do some reading. I usually feed my whole flock Flock Raiser 20% with oyster shell on the side free choice because I have roosters and chicks around for part of the year.

Back
Top Bottom