Chickens won't lay eggs! Type of feed?????

Guess who got a Christmas present from their chickens?????? I switched the type of feed and put a light in there for them, and yesterday, Christmas Eve, I GOT AN EGG!!!! Today I got another one!!! Big, brown eggs! FINALLY!!

Thank u guys!i have been sitting back a listening and y'all have answered all my questions about why my hens weren't laying yet? I put a light in (100W LED daylight bulb) and I guess I thought 2 days later they would be laying. My daddy who is 79 and grew up sharecropping told me also every now and then throw A hand full of dry dog food to help get there fat intake up.

High fat won't contribute to egg production.
A fat hen is a poor producer.

I imagine the recommendation to offer some dog food occasionally is to give an amino acid boost from the animal protein in dog food - not for the fat.

Last edited:
Good info on feeding here.......would just like to add:

Learn to read the labels....not the big pretty letters and pictures on the front of the bags,
read the small print on the tag sewn into the bottom of the bags, it gives the protein and calcium levels as well as others.

...and keep in mind that other foods/treats given will change the level on the bags.

Back
Top Bottom