Chickens wont leave coop

Dwkuska

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Graham Wa
Ok so I put my Red Junglefowl out in their coop about a week ago. I opened up the door to the run about 2 days ago, and the silly chickens wont leave the coop. Is this normal? Is there a way to get the chickens to come out without physically ushering them outside? I have even gone so far as to move their food and water outside today. been 7hr's and they havent even looked outside as far as I know.

Hello
I would try to place some treats eg. Watermelon, grapes, spinach outside the door and see if they come for that. If they don't then I would put the food and water back. If still the following day they are not out and there is no extreme weather conditions then I would try to move them out with my hand. Generally what is the weather like at the moment? I hope this helps and they decide to come out soon :)

I have water, food, watermelon, and spinach(they seem to love it) at the bottom of the ramp. Weather is 72f with a light breeze. If they dont come out in the next few hours I will atleast put normal food and water bowl back in the coop. Stupid chickens...

They can be pretty funny sometimes! Maybe put a stick of spinach through the door at the top of the ramp to try and entice them down? The weather seems mild so that should not be a factor.... Are they sitting on the nests or just in there?

they were just sitting in there, I tried to bribe them out with treats but I think I didnt do a good job of socializing them. Wife got home and just climbed in there and put them outside... not exactly how I wanted it to work out, Oh well now the trick will be to see if they figure out how to go inside at night. I really hope they figure this out or I will have coop only chickens lol

I'm having this same problem with my girls. It's only been a couple days... but I'm not home all day to watch them. I've seen a couple outside in the run - but I don't think they are all going outside. But I guess if they are happy and have food and water then they must be fine :)

Mine line up at the door of the run whenever they see me. We only let them out in the yard when we are out there because of our dogs. They all love to come out except 2 of our Easter Eggers...they are just so weird and anti-social. They hang out inside the run or the coop while everyone else is out ranging in the yard, even if the dogs are in the house. They are the least friendly of the bunch...

When I first opened up the coop after a week, I almost had to physically throw my chickens outside. They went right back in at dark. Now they get so excited to be let out that they climb over each other to get through the door. They're just not used to being outside yet, they'll learn soon!

Mine are doing the same thing.
After a week of being in their new coop, with the RUN door open, they will NOT go outside.
They just sit in the coop at the run door and look down, and jump over the door, but they will NOT go out.
idunno.gif

I have put watermelon, strawberries, celery, and treats down there, and i have to go IN the coop and throw them out, and close the door behind them.

Keep us posted on how yours do, as will I!

-DirtyMax 9812

Back
Top Bottom