Chickens won't use Dust Bath

Curious, I googled peat moss for chickens… it’s not recommended- something about the bacteria and it’s too clumpy.
Mine love just plain dirt, kicking and wallowing in it. I add wood and (junk mail) paper ashes plus paver sand, even vacuum cleaner dust. A 2 x3 spot underneath the coop is ‘their’ dust bath hole. But they create holes everywhere in the run with just dry straw too!
Where'd you read that? A lot of folks use peat moss in chicken baths, either alone or mixed with other ingredients.

It's not clumpy in the slightest as long as it stays dry, which is possible in either super dry climates or in a climate protected spot. As I get a lot of rain I have mine in a plastic sand box so the chickens only get access when it's dry out, but they get super excited when "the pool's open."

Where'd you read that? A lot of folks use peat moss in chicken baths, either alone or mixed with other ingredients.

It's not clumpy in the slightest as long as it stays dry, which is possible in either super dry climates or in a climate protected spot. As I get a lot of rain I have mine in a plastic sand box so the chickens only get access when it's dry out, but they get super excited when "the pool's open."
To your question, thefeatherbrain.com was the site; however, I clicked on the links of said article and it was not a scientific article stating facts of research that I thought would be linked. Later, I did find an agricultural study done (sorry, I don't have the specific URL) that concluded peat was beneficial for broilers. It's slightly irritating, folks post seemingly factual posts in a personal blog, unfortunately.
Rosemarythyme, (I love that song!) being an organic gardener, I have worked with sphagnum peat for years and as much as it helps soil quality, I am not convinced 'peat moss' isn't too fine of dust for the chickens' respiratory systems. Those blocks I've bought at Lowe's have had lots of clumps. Tearing it apart, it gets into my eyes, itches and I sneeze if I'm too sloppy with the trowel. To each their own, I'll stick to my diy ways. Love 'the pool's open'! Haha

To your question, thefeatherbrain.com was the site; however, I clicked on the links of said article and it was not a scientific article stating facts of research that I thought would be linked. Later, I did find an agricultural study done (sorry, I don't have the specific URL) that concluded peat was beneficial for broilers. It's slightly irritating, folks post seemingly factual posts in a personal blog, unfortunately.
Rosemarythyme, (I love that song!) being an organic gardener, I have worked with sphagnum peat for years and as much as it helps soil quality, I am not convinced 'peat moss' isn't too fine of dust for the chickens' respiratory systems. Those blocks I've bought at Lowe's have had lots of clumps. Tearing it apart, it gets into my eyes, itches and I sneeze if I'm too sloppy with the trowel. To each their own, I'll stick to my diy ways. Love 'the pool's open'! Haha
Thanks for looking it up for me - always curious when someone states they read something online, as obviously I put a lot more weight on scientific studies.

Pool's only open about half the year here anyhow (due to constant risk of rain), so it's not like the flock is constantly making dust clouds of peat moss dust, so I feel safe using it . Only time I had a mite issue was after many days of flooding where the chickens had to be confined in the coop. Otherwise if they need for a bath (and pool's closed) they have no issue digging up the run litter and rolling in it, but they all come running when I pop open the sandbox regardless if they've already dug themselves a nice bath.

turtle2.jpg

Chickens that don't dust bathe may not have Mites . Mix a little wood ash with the dirt in the hole and try to protect it from rain , but ours out in the open around the burn barrel always seemed to be a popular place to lounge .

Thank you for asking this question! My 13 week old chickids will scratch and peck at the dust bath but won't use it. Mine is hardwood ash, construction sand and a tiny sprinkling of DE. I'll add a bag or two of potting soil.
Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom