chickensforbackyards.com experiance review

The Lincoln log divider was what I was curious about. Using sand with babies works ok? I would think they might eat it. The sand got smelly, huh?

The Lincoln log divider was what I was curious about. Using sand with babies works ok? I would think they might eat it. The sand got smelly, huh?
Yeah cardboard and lincoln logs glued together.. yeah the sand works okay.. keeps the water a little cleaner which is why i did it.. and yeah they do eat it.. its good for them... helps thier digestive system... but around 3-4weeks the poop becomes very smelly in the sand... the pine shavings helps that... so now i keep sand on the bottom and pine shavings on top.. the only problem with that is they are always kicking the shavings into the water.. especially around 6:30 am when the sun starts to come out and they want to be let outside.. but i wont let them out till around 9 or 10 cause its too cold till around then... if you use sand ask the guys at home depot for sand with no silica in it.. they will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
TODAYS ENTRY: Okay so this is my prefab juvenile chick coop.. today is officially going to be their first day outside.. i know i didn't pick the best of days with it about to rain and windy.. but they are too big for the 54 gallon tote inside the house...and its driving me nuts.... so i took a down comforter and put it on the roof of the run and <<<<< side of the coop...put a large piece of plywood on top ... a sheet on the other side <<<<< and two folding card tables... sounds more and more ghetto i know... so only >>>> this part here where the door is open (is shut now) is the only part exposed.. i moved the heat lamp inside... the little coop part and there are some pine shavings on the floor of it.. and sand now where that weedy grass was... i hope they will be okay.. they will be 5 weeks old sunday.. and they are just driving me nutzo in the house.. they are also right by the back porch (you can see the cement in the pic) so i can check on them constantly..

*UPDATE* WELL OUT THE WINDOW GOES THAT IDEA... HUSBAND SAYS ITS TOO COLD OUTSIDE LET THEM COME IN FOR THE NIGHT..

Last edited:
Our chicks shipped yesterday! We are in Ky so I hope they arrive today!!
big_smile.png
lemme know.. they should arrive friday i would think

A speckled Sussex, golden laced wyandotte, silver laced wyandotte, welsummer, barred rock and a golden comet. And instead of our neighbor adding 2 he will probably add 4!

Back
Top Bottom