Chicks and Mom

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
Ok, my OEGB hen hatched 3 babies and they are living in the coop/tractor with her and dad. I have been feeding them all chick starter so that the chicks can eat with mom and dad and learn how to eat. When do I start the adults on their own feed or is it even possible at this point? Do I start to feed the whole lot of them layer pellets? How does that work. I could not find anything that described that process. Thanks

Marie

Chicks need to eat starter then grower for at least 18 weeks. Layer doesn't have enough protein. The chick food wont hurt mom& dad. (at least this is my understanding from what I have read here)

How about hanging a mom&dad feeder with a bit of their food a bit higher where the chicks can't get it.

just a thought

Coyote

Well, the mom and dad seem to like the chick food better anyway. I had bought the layer pellets and they are banties so they had a time eating it. I had been crushing it up for them. But I think they like the starter because it is easy to eat. I will get another feeder and put up high for them and see if they eat it. Thanks.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom