Chicks are going in the coop!

JSossong

Songster
7 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Western PA
After reading so many forums and searching for info- I've decided that I'm putting my 4 week old BPR's in the coop this afternoon. They're beginning to smell in the house and are peeping so loud lately! I'd also like to get them acclimated to my others girls ASAP. The weathers been fluctuating between mid 60's - low 80's (highs in the day) and hasn't been getting lower than 50 at night here in western PA- so I think they'll be warm enough especially in my insulated coop. I'm going to keep them inside the coop, inside a large dog kennel, with, but separate from my older girls- for the first few weeks.

I think I've thought this through and everything should go smoothly, do you agree?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?
Every comment is welcomed!
Thanks!
xxx

@iwiw60 I'm torn- because i've read so many testaments on here where people have put them out as young as 3 weeks in similar temps and have gotten fine results- then i've also read numerous places that those temps are too low. It's my first time moving new chicks into a coop with older chickens so of course I want to do it the right way and make sure it'll be a comfortable and safe environment.

I also just double checked the weather and the lows will be high 50's each night. Not sure what to do!

@iwiw60 I'm torn- because i've read so many testaments on here where people have put them out as young as 3 weeks in similar temps and have gotten fine results- then i've also read numerous places that those temps are too low. It's my first time moving new chicks into a coop with older chickens so of course I want to do it the right way and make sure it'll be a comfortable and safe environment.

I also just double checked the weather and the lows will be high 50's each night. Not sure what to do!
Well, I can only speak for myself...when I put my 4 teenagers out to the coop they were 7 weeks old, night time temps here in the Northwest were still getting down into the low 40's and below. I hung their heat lamp up in the coop and turned it on only at night, and as it turned out only used it for 5 nights. This gave the chicks the option of the heat or going somewhere else in the cooler parts of the coop.

You mentioned you're putting them out with 'older chickens' ... you will have them partitioned off....right???

Last edited:
@iwiw60 yes of course. Today is the first day I put them "together" (separated by a fence) in the run. And I will do something similar for in the coop- I actually have an old dog kennel i'll put the babies in. What's hilarious is that my older girls are scared of the babies! They won't come out of the coop yet to check them out! It's comical

I have questions along this same thread. I have two older hens and 10 girls that are a little over a year old, no roosters. One of the older gals is broody, has been for about three months, only comes out to eat and poop. The other one is a RIR and is pretty mean, dominant. Neither one of the older ones are laying. We live in the mountains and let them out about 9:00 AM and they free range all day, go back in the coop, with a chain link secure enclosure at night. Now, the question, I have 6 chicks that are 7 weeks old growing fast in my basement. I have a small area fenced in that I have been putting them out for an hour or two every few days to get sun and exercise, they have shade as well. The older girls are out and about but are separated by the fence. I have seen a few of them pecking through the fence, but the little ones can get away. When and how do I incorporate the new ones with the group.

I have questions along this same thread. I have two older hens and 10 girls that are a little over a year old, no roosters. One of the older gals is broody, has been for about three months, only comes out to eat and poop. The other one is a RIR and is pretty mean, dominant. Neither one of the older ones are laying. We live in the mountains and let them out about 9:00 AM and they free range all day, go back in the coop, with a chain link secure enclosure at night. Now, the question, I have 6 chicks that are 7 weeks old growing fast in my basement. I have a small area fenced in that I have been putting them out for an hour or two every few days to get sun and exercise, they have shade as well. The older girls are out and about but are separated by the fence. I have seen a few of them pecking through the fence, but the little ones can get away. When and how do I incorporate the new ones with the group.
First, how 'old' are your olde hens? It sounds like they're possibly getting toward the end of their productive lives maybe? Please don't take this wrong, but you now have three different age groups going, and it could be time to cull the old ones, especially the RIR that is mean. With that said, you'll need to separate the new chicks from your layers both in the run and the coop area for sure, otherwise it could spell disaster. This can (and most likely will) take upwards of 3-4 weeks. They can see 'them' and them can see 'they' if you get my drift, and not be able to hurt each other. That's not to say that when you DO let them mingle fights won't break out. Just make sure it doesn't get bloody.

The two old gals were given to me and According to what I was told they should be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. You are right, they need to go, they never did lay much at all anyway. They may be older than that.

The two old gals were given to me and According to what I was told they should be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. You are right, they need to go, they never did lay much at all anyway. They may be older than that.
Glad to hear that...more likely than not the people told you 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 but are most probably older than that...they just pawned them off on you..eek! Time for the stew pot! Best of luck integrating your girls!!

Put then out!!! My were out at 3 weeks, I did do a week of a lamp at night. Do you really think that a 4 week old sits under their momma 24/7! As long as they are not in a windy condition and have somewhere to get warm they will be fine. They are chickens!!!! enjoy

Back
Top Bottom