*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
These pics are amazing - this is my first hatch and love coming back to check these pics out
big_smile.png

Quote:
I don't think they really sit hard on them. I read that someone said they kinda crouch over them, not sitting down as tight as when they are just keeping them warm. A whole pile of babies will hide under a hen too so she must be just sort of sitting on her legs and creating a warm little cozy spot underneath her.

Yeah, they crouch near the end... some bad broodies sit so tight they smother their chicks to death. Have had a silkie in the past only want to sit on eggs, and would smother any chicks that hatched under her. She did not last long here.

Elinor's chicks :

I bought some eggs and put them under my broody hen. It's my first time ever trying to hatch any eggs. When the eggs arrived, after they had rested and before putting them under the hen - I couldn't resist, I candled them - thinking there wouldn't be anything to see, but giving me a baseline. Going aaaaaaaallllllllll the way back to the first post, on the first page of this thread, several of the eggs had largish dark 'somethings' in there - looked very much like the photos of Day 10 eggs.

I put the eggs under her Saturday evening. Even after reading so many things about LEAVING THE EGGS ALONE for the first week to 10 days, my curiosity got the best of me and I candled them again last night (Tuesday). Still a big dark lump in some of them. I don't know if they were the same ones, or the same number, because I didn't mark them at all the first day. I did see a couple with veins though, that looked a LOT more like the "good egg" photos making normal progression after just a couple of days!!

I don't want to leave bad eggs under her and maybe have them burst or contamilate the other eggs! What should I do? Take the ones with dark lumps out? Could they possibly have started to incubate at the breeder's in this hot weather, and just be farther along (or got farther along then died)? Should I leave them alone and look for changes?
idunno.gif

I'd leave them there. Likely if you saw dark blobs similar to day 10 at day 0, the shells may be too thick to see through.​

Back
Top Bottom