*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Awe, so adorable!
wee.gif

two attempts in a row we have had eggs pip on the side of the egg laying down and the little babies haven't t survived because I didn't know they pipped. Is there a reason this happens? Can I do something to prevent this? Once I lockdown I'm afraid to open the incubator at all. My daughter is devistated every time. She lost over half her flock this summer to unknown preditator or something else. She is trying to build it back up unsuccessfully. It's heartbreaking for her and the poor chick. Any and all suggestions and help is appreciated

Question to "Newchics"- do you have a rooster and a brooding hen? If so try letting the hen hatch the eggs and increase the security to the coop, ie lock up the coop after the chickens have roasted at night. I'm not sure what the area around your coop looks like but try thinking like a predator.

I've had eggs pip in the middle on the down side and the chicks usually drown before they can get out. I don't know how to prevent this, but fortunately it has not happened to me very often. I've noticed that the larger the egg, the more likely this is to happen. Also, some breeds/hens seem to have it happen more frequently, so there may be a genetic component that prevents the chicks from getting in the correct hatching position.

The only thing I can recommend is taking chicks out of the incubator after they hatch so they aren't knocking the eggs around that haven't hatched yet. I believe most chicks will pip on the up side of the egg, but if another chick rolls the egg over the chances of them pipping on the bottom and drowning is much greater. Not everyone will agree with this advice, but I put my chicks in the brooder as soon as I have 3 or 4 that have hatched.

I've had eggs pip in the middle on the down side and the chicks usually drown before they can get out. I don't know how to prevent this, but fortunately it has not happened to me very often. I've noticed that the larger the egg, the more likely this is to happen. Also, some breeds/hens seem to have it happen more frequently, so there may be a genetic component that prevents the chicks from getting in the correct hatching position.

The only thing I can recommend is taking chicks out of the incubator after they hatch so they aren't knocking the eggs around that haven't hatched yet. I believe most chicks will pip on the up side of the egg, but if another chick rolls the egg over the chances of them pipping on the bottom and drowning is much greater. Not everyone will agree with this advice, but I put my chicks in the brooder as soon as I have 3 or 4 that have hatched.
I had no idea that the chick could drown if the pip was on the bottom... I rolled a few out of that position for what I thought was a better look. I guess I helped a few out without knowing it.

That is what happened to mine. They pipped on the bottom (not in the air cell but in the middle of the egg). I could see fluid leaking from the bottom of the eggs. By the time I found them the chicks had already drowned. When they pipped on the top or side the chicks have survived (sometimes with help). It is usually my big eggs that have this problem. Never had an issue with a broody hen though.

I am in the process of first incubation. My first chick hatched yesterday which was only day 18. 5 of them have hatched tonight and there are 8 to go. Only two of those 8 have pipped. Chicks seem to be fine BUT this is what the inside of the shells are looking like, is this normal?

Thanks! I just had one hatch that is very wet, I got the other chicks out after they had been in there about an hour or so but put wet paper towel in to keep humidity up, I'm wondering if I made it go to high? I have an egg in there that looks like it pipped but there is liquid coming out ? The other eggs I think may have stopped developing, when I candled them they aren't dark all the way to air cell like others were.

Thanks! I just had one hatch that is very wet, I got the other chicks out after they had been in there about an hour or so but put wet paper towel in to keep humidity up, I'm wondering if I made it go to high? I have an egg in there that looks like it pipped but there is liquid coming out ? The other eggs I think may have stopped developing, when I candled them they aren't dark all the way to air cell like others were.
The inside of the egg looks normal.

In my experience having the humidity too high during hatching is not a problem. The chicks will not dry quickly but you can put them in the brooder under the heat lamp if you want them to dry faster.

If the chicks are not taking up the entire space inside the egg (except for the air cell) then they probably did stop growing. You can give them a couple of extra days but it sounds like they are quitters.

Back
Top Bottom