*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Wicked Nice Post SilkieChicken! Thank you for taking all the time to take and post photos. it is greatly appreciated. We'll be using it in a few days (our day 6 of first incubation since ever).
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments!

Now to answer some q's.

Quote:
I don't have instructions for making the bator as it has been cobbled together over the past decade. Assembled the plywood box when I was about 13, wired in the lights when I was like 15, added the thermostat when I was like 20, and just put the fan in this year... so it's been one of those projects that have sat on the back burner for a long time because I didn't really need it per se.

Quote:
silkiechicken from the top of the first post
wink.png
:

These images are all taken using a point and shoot Canon Powershot 710IS, and the light from an eagle tac set on high output. Photos are in real colors unless otherwise noted.

That's it. Shined light though egg, snapped photo. High output tactical flashlight (way better than a maglight), and a point and shoot camera that I have experience in using, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but different eggs will look slightly different depending on where the embryo is. Generally, the embryo is at the side closer to the air cell and the egg white is at the pointy end to provide moisture and protein. Regardless of what humidity scheme you are running, the only thing that matters is that the egg loses about 12% of it's mass by day 18 or so, and the humidity at hatch is high enough the chicks don't get stuck.​

Those pictures were awesome and an enormous help to me. I am new at this and still a bit confused about what I see. I have decided not to candle anything until day 10, by which time I should be able to tell something, right? And will someone please tell me what a "sticky " is and how to use it? Where to FIND it? ( I said I was a neophyte, didn't I?)

Quote:
I don't have instructions for making the bator as it has been cobbled together over the past decade. Assembled the plywood box when I was about 13, wired in the lights when I was like 15, added the thermostat when I was like 20, and just put the fan in this year... so it's been one of those projects that have sat on the back burner for a long time because I didn't really need it per se.

Quote:
silkiechicken from the top of the first post
wink.png
:

These images are all taken using a point and shoot Canon Powershot 710IS, and the light from an eagle tac set on high output. Photos are in real colors unless otherwise noted.

That's it. Shined light though egg, snapped photo. High output tactical flashlight (way better than a maglight), and a point and shoot camera that I have experience in using, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but different eggs will look slightly different depending on where the embryo is. Generally, the embryo is at the side closer to the air cell and the egg white is at the pointy end to provide moisture and protein. Regardless of what humidity scheme you are running, the only thing that matters is that the egg loses about 12% of it's mass by day 18 or so, and the humidity at hatch is high enough the chicks don't get stuck.

silkiechicken,

Thank You!!! Will give that a try tonight : )

- Tommy​

Quote:
Day 10 is a good time for beginners or those without a high output light source.

A "sticky" is a thread like this one that is "stickied" to the top of the section that it is in. Basically, it stays at the top of the section page and says "sticky" so it is easier to find.

Back
Top Bottom