*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Zoo fantastic candling. I can do that with my canaries but not my silly button quails. Nothing seems to penatrate those shells unless they are clears and have a thin shell.
Well done.

P.S. love your incubator - mine is a small reptile tank with towels inbetween a cardboard box. I am so jealous.

Last edited:
Love this post. It is so well put together , and that little bator is great. Thanks for sharing this easy to follow hatch and candeling with the results right down to the little cups for easy clean up..

Last edited:
How many of your chicks ended up hatching?
Oh and thanks again, i always come here to see what my eggs should look like everyday.
wink.png

Beautiful job on these photos! It's great to have these for reference. I decided to try and candle the eggs my serama hen has been brooding for a while, and it looks like at least two eggs are developing nicely, though my flashlight isn't the best for candling. One of them was very dark--hoping that chick is getting close to hatch day! Another had a smaller embryo in it. Now I want to go look again, but I don't want to disturb the eggs too much and risk harming the babies. I'll have to do that tomorrow or in a couple of days.

I can't wait to get the incubator I'm going to order within the next week--then I'll be candling like crazy!
celebrate.gif

30 hours after the first pip, the hatch is now complete! This is about my average time to hatch. I've had some take even longer so there really is no rushing the little guys.
There were 7 fertile eggs that made it to day 3. All 7 hatched on their own without opening the bator between day 18 though post hatch and fluff.

Post hatch shell interior. Note that all the vessels are gone and it's just pink. Not a single drop of blood. The little blob in the bottom is the chick wastes from development; think of it as embryo poo.

Now this really opened my eyes! I'm getting ready to hatch with my new homemade incubator here, and it's my habit that when a chick starts to take longer than all the rest, I want to jump in and help.
roll.png
Thank you sooo much for posting that and reminding me that I should just watch and sit on my hands if I have to until it's over.
I'm so glad I build and put in the hand-turner and a tube for adding warm water...That way I can turn the eggs and raise humidity without opening the bator at all!!!

Thanks for posting this! Those are all such helpful pictures and thanks for all the great information. This is just what I needed to be refreshed before starting hatching again...I think everyone should review this thread and any other great threads if they haven't hatched/used an incubator in a while. :thumbs​

I got inspired to go candle after looking at this. I see something in the eggs but no movement. Hope they are ok.. But, I have no where as good a light as you do either.

newduckie: I no longer worry about seeing movement & if I do then it's a bonus. When I candle on day 7 or 10, 14, & 18 that's where it is interesting to see the growth progression of the air cell, dark mass of the chick & the egg white get smaller. I watched for all 3 things on those 3 candle days, then I really knew what was happening. Good luck to you.

My Christmas hatch of all 6 eggs took 20 hrs from 1st pip to last hatch. I greatly owe the success of all hatching to never opening the incubator & helping, as in the past it has often hurt the other unhatched eggs by severely dropping the humidity below the normal 55% used in "dry incubation." I had been told not to open several times before & now I fully understand why. Not opening the incubator was the hardest part of the whole 21+ days.

(Spell check edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom