*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Quote:
What if you lined the plywood one with that foil looking insulating material (can't think of the technical name of it right now...google search = reflectix, I think)? Wouldn't that help keep in the heat a lot better. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about building one too but can't decide on the material to use either. I have a free styro cooler lined up but I like the look of wood 100 x's better.

This post is so informational and wonderful pics...

i'm getting my FIRST...
yippiechickie.gif
fertile eggs in a few days in the mail...

Welsummers and SL Wyandotts....I'm getting very excited about this whole process.
thanks again for sharing..
Melinda

Any insulation is better than no insulation. It is all up to you if you're the one who gets to design and build the bator. That said, keep in mind ease of cleaning, will there be spaces for water to get in, potential mold issues if water does get in, cost etc...

Okay I have a question!

It is Day 12 and we have 10 confirmed chicks in there. We only have one confirmed brown egg, and a few blue eggs that are almost totally dark and I can't see through. A few of the brown ones are more see through than the others and I can see a yolky substance in there. When I turn the egg all the way around , the yolk stays on the other side. Might that be a baby? When should I toss?? And what about the eggs that seem to be all dark inside , if we can't see through them but they have an air sac, what does that mean?? A few of them don't appear to have an air sac but its so dark they might. Oh, I am such a newbie at this.
idunno.gif
Why can't there be an easier way! Throw me some hints, little chicks!

What are the chances of an unfertilized egg exploding before (or during!!) hatch day? I'd just hate to throw out a viable egg because I couldnt see in. My flashlight is LED but not SUPER high powered.

P.S It's the COOLEST THING to see veins and chicky beings in there!!

Last edited:
Quote:
If you can't see though it, leave it to the end. The yolky stuff is probably the yolk and the chick is in there somewhere. Only toss an egg if it looks like a raw egg. Any change in the shadow from the initial egg means something is happening.

If you can't see though eggs that means that you need a brighter light or the shell has so much pigment that your light just can't makei t through.

As for exploding, give it a sniff, if you can't smell it, don't worry. I have a few eggs that I let dry out that are nearing a decade old. No explosions. A non cracked egg should be sterile inside so there will be no bacteria causing gases to accumulate.

Quote:
If you can't see though it, leave it to the end. The yolky stuff is probably the yolk and the chick is in there somewhere. Only toss an egg if it looks like a raw egg. Any change in the shadow from the initial egg means something is happening.

If you can't see though eggs that means that you need a brighter light or the shell has so much pigment that your light just can't makei t through.

As for exploding, give it a sniff, if you can't smell it, don't worry. I have a few eggs that I let dry out that are nearing a decade old. No explosions. A non cracked egg should be sterile inside so there will be no bacteria causing gases to accumulate.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer! So helpful, you have no idea! Or maybe you do because you were in my shoes once too lol. I think I will just leave them all unless something starts to smell funky. Our flashlight isnt bad, but i thought it would be better I must say. I sniffed the eggs today during candling and hubby to be thought I was crazy lol!

Last edited:
What brightness is light bulb and what kind?? Fantastic shots..if your an amatuer. I have green shell and brown and hard to see if they're fertile at 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom