chicks arrive next week!

chickykids

Songster
May 25, 2021
I'm getting my first chicks next week from Meyer's Hatchery. We are getting 6: white crested polish, barnevelder, ameracuana, lavender orpington, black copper marans, blue laced red wyandotte. We have been looking forward to and planning this since last year (like many others I'm sure :) We finished our coop last week but will probably keep the chicks inside for at least a few weeks so form bonds especially for our kids.

I tried to use pine shavings in the brooder but seem to have had an allergic reaction to it so I'm going to either use the industrialized hemp or puppy pads. If anyone has any input on that I would appreciate hearing it.

I plan to use fermented scratch and peck feed although I'm not sure if I will stick with this. I'm a bit concerned about using this so young with requiring grit and all of that.

I'm most worried about the chicks being healthy upon arrival and I guess staying that way.

Thanks for reading!

I'm getting my first chicks next week from Meyer's Hatchery. We are getting 6: white crested polish, barnevelder, ameracuana, lavender orpington, black copper marans, blue laced red wyandotte. We have been looking forward to and planning this since last year (like many others I'm sure :) We finished our coop last week but will probably keep the chicks inside for at least a few weeks so form bonds especially for our kids.

I tried to use pine shavings in the brooder but seem to have had an allergic reaction to it so I'm going to either use the industrialized hemp or puppy pads. If anyone has any input on that I would appreciate hearing it.

I plan to use fermented scratch and peck feed although I'm not sure if I will stick with this. I'm a bit concerned about using this so young with requiring grit and all of that.

I'm most worried about the chicks being healthy upon arrival and I guess staying that way.

Thanks for reading!
:welcome. Puppy pads have worked perfectly fine for me.:)

Back
Top Bottom