Chicks being left outside in summer?

chickmomnicole

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2015
Colorado
Just a quick question. We have 1 week old chicks. It's the middle of June and was wondering if I need to leave them inside the full 8 weeks untill all of their feathers come in. Or can I put them in the coop in the little box with heating lamp? My house is tiny and they are stinky! Help! Thanks! Ps. The lows here at night are mid 50s

Lots of people brood chicks outside in a garage or barn or coop. As long as they have the right heat temps they should be fine outside.

Inside the house is a choice not a requirement.

Good luck with your new babies!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with @tjo804 . Is it possible they can be kept in the garage or basement? They need to be 8 weeks before they can go outside permanently. But in the meantime they can go on field trips outside every day and don't have to be in the brooder 24/7. MAKE SURE they are observed always or kept in a cage while outside.

One week old is very young. I would keep them inside yet because of drafts and other issues. I prefer a controlled environment as compared to other things. I know that mother hens are able to do it no problem outside, but when it comes to me, I keep them inside under the lamp. In NJ it was very hot and humid this week, and those conditions could have been very hard on the chicks. Sometimes the sun can be more intense than a heat lamp, and they can't escape it outside. I would provide them cover and an enclosure if they are left outside.

Back
Top Bottom