Chicks digging in bedding?

Here is a pic of our own hens with their favorite spot for dust bathing. Note they have made depressions in the dirt to make the bath work better. They will fight over the prize depressions. A couple of flock roos are standing guard.
dusting 2.JPG

Haha looks like ours! In the closed run they have two spots by a tree and one under the coop. And outside in the netting they have huge holes now. Soon it will be lookin like a crater i am pretty sure lol! It is pretty comical when one of the two roos bathe... the ladies give them the whole spot to flounder in and sit on the edges waitin for their turns just a fussin at said boy. What breeds are your boys? They are beautiful!

Here is a pic of our own hens with their favorite spot for dust bathing. Note they have made depressions in the dirt to make the bath work better. They will fight over the prize depressions. A couple of flock roos are standing guard. View attachment 1293547

That photo made me think about laying on my stomach in my Grannies' parlor and peering through the cracks in her floor and watching the chickens bathe in the fine dust in the perpetual desert that lay beneath Grannies parlor.

Man, mine were doing dust baths in the bedding within a few hours! It was hysterical.

And yes, bringing in a small spade of dirt from their run/yard area will be good for them. It's a great introduction to your local environment.

Back
Top Bottom