Chicks dying, not sure why.

I tend to agree, the heat is probably high in there - also, consider the fact that it is a metal container, so not only will the metal hold the heat, it may also magnify it a bit - when I had my new chicks, I put them in a large, open top cardboard box and had an infrared heat lamp firmly clamped up above the box and aimed into one of the corners of the box - that way, they had the choice to gather under or close to it, or they had the rest of the box to get away from the heat - you might also try to find a temperature gun locally or on Amazon - I use mine all the time - it shoots a laser beam at whatever surface you want to know the temperature of and instantly gives a digital readout - it's invaluable to have for a number of different uses, especially for something like this - good luck!

Not sure what is going on.
I normally order from ideal, as they are close, and I get the chicks the next day.
Unfortunately, they're booked until may.
Ordered from McMurray, got them in 2 days. Lost one in transit, no biggie. Got them Thursday and I've been losing 1 -3 per day. Today is Monday and I lost 2 overnight.
Plenty of food water room and heat.
This is terrible news. Chicks have been selling out at a record pace. You have to arrive thirty minutes prior to them arriving and get in line. People are buying like crazy.
I lost 2 of 15 on day two of having them all the rest are thriving. I would call the company and see what’s going on. This seems strange.
so sorry for your losses.

I agree 100% that they are dy
When you see them in the farthest corners like that, they are too hot. They are trying to get away from the heat.
I agree 100% that your chicks are probably dying from the heat. You need to provide a shaddy space they can go to get cold off. I purchased a Comfort Feathers Chick Brooder Heating Plate and the chicks can get under if the are cold to stay warm and I highly recommend you get one and get rid of the heat lamp. The various heating plates lets your chickens get out of the constant lighting on all day everyday and comes in various sizes depending on the number of chicks you have and you can raise the plate as the chicks get bigger. I doubt you would have lost a single chick using the heating plate.

While your set up is very nice i agree with the other posters they are probably overheating and dying, that would get very warm in there remove the cushions, and raise the lamp, you can tell when you get it right, they will alternate from nodding off under the warm lamp, and going off to cool a little at the other end. If they dont leave the lamp its too cold, if they are always away from the lamp at the other end its too warm.

Yes, first thing I notice in the picture is all huddled at the far end, trying to get away from heat. Angle the lamp and try and raise it if you can. Also, you need to be checking their butts for pasty butt. I have read that happens more often due to high heat.

Sorry to hear about your issue. We purchased 40 Red Ranger meat chicks from Tractor Supply on March 21st and started losing 2 birds per day. We started to lose two birds per day. Tractor Supply had no explanation. We went through the "checklist" for chicks (heat - we monitor with a digital thermometer, electrolyte, no poopie butt) and couldn't figure it out. The chicks would appear healthy one day and the next day we would lose a couple birds. We ended up buying a bottle of liquid vitamin supplement and adding it to their water. We switched from straight-up electrolyte to electrolyte with vitamins. We saw a reduction in deaths. What seemed to make the biggest difference it we took six (6) egg yokes from the hard boiled eggs from our 26 mature hens and giving them to the chicks every day. One day later we stopped losing chicks. We continue to feed the chicks the egg yokes (which they absolutely love) and they are doing great. Good luck.

Definitely too hot. If you have a heating pad, or if you can get an extra large one that DOES NOT have the auto off feature, make an inverted U shape out of chicken wire or HC just tall enough so the chicks can go underneath. Tape the cut ends with electrical tape or something firm so they don't cut themselves. Put your heating pad in an old pillow case or wrap it in something and lay it OVER the wire and tie it down with hemp string or something. They put some straw under the heating pad Mama and on top of the heating pad.

You'll be mimicking a mama hen. The chicks go underneath Mama when needed and put their backs up against her wings (the underneath side). When they get warm enough, they'll leave until they need to warm up again. They'll also stand on top of it and warm their feet.

I couldn't upload my video that shows mine, however, Beekissed has a good how to article on the site. Hope this helps!

Sorry about your problem. I'm probably seeing this too late, but it very well could have been the heat. I don't follow the standard supplemental heat guidelines after years of doing this. Chicks will show you if they are too hot or too cold by how they group together in relation to the heat source, but I like to put a thermometer in the brooder to verify the temp.

Back
Top Bottom