Chicks dying off... *Update* options with Merricks?

Quote:
Lol. Don't have to tell me a million times. :p

I switched feed bags Saturday, in fact I disinfected everything the chicks come into contact with (brooder, feeders, waterers) and made sure everything was fresh and new. I would have no idea what they are ingesting unless it was some bug that flies in or something, because they are in a metal brooder and I went from shavings, to paper towels (just in case they were ingesting shavings) and now I just have them on wire.

I took them to the vet's today. I had 2 frozen, 1 refrigerated and 1 fresh dead and then I brought a live one that was sick. It was up to eight birds for one fee. I will know something tomorrow, some cultures can take up to 10 days. But he said usually if it's something major he can tell me within 24 hours, or at least have an idea.

I lost 2 more today.

I don't think hatcheries are spreading this. I hatch my own eggs and I have seen it before. This year the infection took some very important chicks. I do believe it is contagious. I tried to moisten with warm slighlty soapy water and dry the chick off. It appeared to me that it was closing the vent of the poor chicks, and when the vent area was cleaned I could confirm the vent was red and swollen. The chicks younger than a week cannot take much vent washing. I suspect an organism has gotten into some major feed makers/suppliers feedstock. After all, we are all feeding them starter/grower, right?

i have a chicken i think has merricks. when it walks she seems drunk. lays down constantly, can only flop around and shows no signs of illness other than this. i have 12 hens so i am going to quarentine this one. i really want to know if the rest of my flock is ok assuming this hen has merricks. i have only noticed this behavior today and i check on them often atleast once every 2 days if not every day.

Back
Top Bottom